Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

upgrading front discs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dem, May 21, 2001.

1. dem

dem Registered Member

Anybody out there have any experience with upgrading front discs, looking for bigger rotors and better calipers. I have looked for aftermarket solution for my 72 blazer with Dana 44 and have found nothing. (Brembo makes them for late model suburbans) Converting rear drums to discs I don't consider as worthy option because I don't believe it will decrease stopping distance unless someone else convinces me otherwise. Thanks for any advice.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Larger front discs shouldn't decrease your stopping distance either. The entire idea behind either rear discs or larger front discs is to increase the amount of heat rejection in the braking system, increasing the repeatability of stopping power. The only way to decrease stopping distance is to set the brake proportioning so that all four of the brakes are working enough to *just* not lock up and make the tires slide.

FWIW, my change to rear discs included a major overhaul in the way the proportioning system works and my brakes now stop better than the original setup because of that. I would like to go to larger front discs to increase the repeatability of stopping, but I haven't found any suitable way of doing that. My next avenue of pursuit will be to plumb more cooling air to the rotors for better heat rejection.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The way to upgrade your brakes is to install the 3/4 ton spindles and rotors. The problem is that they are 8 lug. If you also put in a 14bolt rear than you could have big brakes at both ends and a much stronger rear end.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust