Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrading my 10 bolt

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by GRIZZZ, Jan 10, 2007.

1. GRIZZZ

GRIZZZ Newbie

I have a 79 jimmy and have upgraded my rear 12 bolt diff with new bearings ,axles and an Auburn. I would like to do the same to the front. I would like to know what brand of axles and u-joints you would suggest? I run 33" swampers now and will upgrade to 38" Boggers in the spring when I install a lift.
    Also should I go with an Auburn,Tru-trac or do you have any other suggestions? I am also curious about increasing the splines from my now 28 spline axles in my upgrade.I use my jimmy 90% for wheelin now I started out thinking it would be a daily driver, My mistake!

Grizzz

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So you`re running 33 Swampers now, and will be going up to 38 Boggers? Thats a big jump for those axles, one I dont think they can make....Time to go 1 ton.....

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you are going to run 38" tires don't put a bunch of money into the 10 bolt.

You already did a bunch of work on the 12 bolt and hopefully you can sell it cause you need 1 ton stuff.

4. GRIZZZ

GRIZZZ Newbie

38's were my first thought only because I read I could up grade my axles drive shafts and 36's - 37's would be okay. And I thought I would push my luck further with 38's. So do you think these upgrades would be sucessful in my application?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

36 or 37 inch tires with good axle shafts, u joints etc. is a struggle under a fullsize.
    38" tires are getting to mandatory D60 territory.