Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrading rear end in '98 2wd pickup

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by berg76, Sep 15, 2003.

1. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Upgrading rear end in \'98 2wd pickup

has anyone thought about how to or actually done this? Upgrading the rear end in a '98 2wd 1/2t pickup to a 14bsf??? or any beefier axle for that matter? I dont know much about 2wd IFS crap /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.

Im wondering how you handled the lug pattern change. Did you get custom axle shafts w/5lug and change the brake system? or did you use adapters? do they make 6/8lug to 5lug??? or did you upgrade to 8lug allround?? how did the fronted get converted? are 3/4ton and 1/2ton hubs swapable?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Upgrading rear end in \'98 2wd pickup

First of all, I think you put this in the wrong forum. Not that I care, but you'll get a more appropriate audience in the "IFS and new sheel metal" forum - I'm guessing that's where you meant to post this.

As for answering the question... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif...you do know that the 14 bolt SF comes in both 6 lug and 8 lug, correct? I know that doesn't help you much because your 2wd is 5 lug. How about looking under a 3/4 ton 2wd pickup. That should have the 14 bolt SF, but I'm not sure whether those run 5 or 6 lugs. It might also be a possibility that the knuckles from the rear axle donor truck will work on your 1/2 ton....but I'm not sure on that, I'll have to do some checking.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

You can try to find a 14 bolt sf out of an early 90's 454 SS. Or maybe buy just the axle shafts? Not sure of the measurents, though, and the 4x4 versions of the 14 sf are quite wide.

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get the wheels, front rotors, and rear end from an 88-98 6-lug C2500 (light 3/4-ton 2wd). That's all there is to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

If you are talking about 5 lug axles, 2wd then find a 454 SS truck. They had the 14B sf I did this to a guy's truck. His was a 94 1/2 ton 2wd. It bolted right in. You might need a trick U joint. I used the driveshaft from the 454 SS. hope this helps.

6. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. Time to hit the yards! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif