Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrading Reverse Lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

So sticking with my theory that if something needs replacing it also needs upgrading, I need new and improved reverse lights. My truck was being safety inspected when I found out the back up lights don't come on. I figure it's just burnt out but I might as well put something better there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Any suggestions?

I think I will be switching to the Hella H4's for my headlights cause I wheel alot at night and it would be nice to see awesome behind me too.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

get some cheap foglights and wire them to turn on when you put the truck in reverse, ie switched off of the regular reverse lights..and put regular bulbs in the old sockets..

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

thats what i did
    i picked up a 20$ hitch light kit from autozone...those f*kers are bright

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm going to have aircraft landing lights in my new rear bumper. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

check your wires for the backup lights.

then install a se of 55W(check local laws for max rating allowed) cheap lights. instead of using the switch wire the relay into your backup lights wires. no need for a switch to forget in a case like this. you can add the switch in if desired, but i did this and found i would forget to turn them off.

im doing the same on my sonoma since i tinded the windows to dark and cant see very well at night anyway.

Grant

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, I did just like Grant in my old 98 Ram with dark tented windows. Couldn't see jack out the back at night. Took 2 55 watt fogs in metal housings (clearance for $19.95, regular 39.95). Cheap 20 amp relay (110W / 12V = 10 amps) wired into the stock backup light wires turned it on and a 10 gauge wire off a 20 amp acc jack on the main box provided the power. I started to pull power from the towing harness but I was afraid it wouldn’t handle the amperage, especially if I had the trailer on there too. After that I had almost as much light in the back as the front...

7. Did you find out why your back up lights dont come on? It probably isnt the wiring, its probably the switch on the column. Mine dont come on either and I checked the wiring all the way to the switch, so if you wire lights to your back up light wiring to come on when when you put it in reverse, and the switch is shot, chances are the new ones wont work. I am working on the same problem. The switch is in a bad spot and does not look fun to change. Just my .02

Mat

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

switch on the column? reverse switches are normally on the trans...

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How are stock 4 speed lights wired?

10. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Another option is to use a 50 watt bulb in your existing back up light.

JC Whitney

I'm gonna throw these in both my van and my Suburban. But I have also done the 55 watt (cheap) fog lights under my rear bumper as well. Check out these Hella work lights for back up lights.

AW Direct

I'm gonna stick a set of these into my rear bumper when I get it built! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

forget the 1156 halogen replacement bulbs,,,, they dont work well.... they will melt your tail lens over time... they dont last and they appear to draw too much current for the wires....
    if you want some Ill sell you new ones I didnt put in.. but honestly... great idea,,, isnt reliable....
    the post with the relay and separate lamps is what I did... 50 watt implement lamps.. cheap, tuff.. last forever....
    I have a flat rear winch bumper I built and I integrated them into the bumper
    cam

12. yes, the back-up lights/neutral start switch are located down on the bottom of the steering column, or at least on my 89 Suburban they are.

Mat

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well thanks for the heads up then!

I had some higher powered bulbs in a factory set of driving lights that I had to drill vent holes for but I bet that wouldn't work on the back up lights.

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

With the backup lights though they would only be on for short periods of time unlike a front headlight. I doubt it would ever be on long enough to melt anything. The insufficient gauge of wire I could see being a problem though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I don't have the money for a new bumper yet and I don't really like the thought of having a light sticking out somewhere off of my vehicle to get smashed or ripped off on an obstacle so... How hard would it be to run thicker wires to the back tail lights?

15. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

try wiggiling your shifter I have to wiggle mine to get my back up lights to come on.

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

you know I didnt think about upgrading to thicker wire in the backup light itself.... probably doing the relay thing and then having heavier wire to the lamp would work well....
    and yes the light isnt on for a long time... but over time I noticed it began to bubble the clear part of the lens as the halogen was so hot.... drilling a hole might work...
    cam

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm gonna try using the 50 watts and if it starts to melt anything I'll switch back or use some vent holes.