Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upgrading shocks .......... question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

My '84 K5 is completely stock right now. I am planning for a 2 1/2" lift using the shackle flip for the rear, and lift springs for the front.

I am thinking of getting the new shocks now, and the lift later. Will it be a problem to install shocks intended for a lift on a stock suspension, then install the lift later?

Everything I read about installing lifts/shocks, people state that they installed the lift and shocks at the same time.

Will I damage the shocks or anything else by installing them onto a stock suspension?

Thanks,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

With a 2" lift you may be able to get away with it. To be sure I would call the shock MFG. and double check with them to see what they say. I have seen some shocks listed for a 0" - 2", but they are all probably different.

Call the mfg and find out for sure before ya dump $100+ down the drain. :)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I would wait until the lift is complete before getting new shocks. This way you can actually measure how much travel you have and then get the appropriate shocks. I have a 90 Jimmy with a 4" suspension lift. I originally bought Rancho RS5000's for a 2 1/2" - 4" lift (at the Rancho tech's recommendation). They were always topping out and limiting my suspension travel. I broke the left rear shock mount twice before I realized that I needed longer shocks. I then put in Trailmaster Nitro Cell's for 5" to 8" lift and they work great! No bottoming or topping out and I get full suspension movement.

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

I need some new shocks pretty bad -- 3 of the 6 are shot. I broke 3 shock mounts already so I think the shocks on there right now are limiting my suspension travel.

With a 2 1/2" lift, the shocks shouldn't be too much longer, right? I guess I'll just call around and see what the manufactures say.

Thanks again,

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Post deleted by Derf00

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have a 2.5' lift and Rancho RSXs, but 4WPW put shocks on for a truck with a 0-2" lift, and they were always topping out and they broke my left back mount too. Then I put on a 3" lift and the front shocks wouldn't even bolt on anymore. I went back to 4WPW and compalined and I got some RS9000s for free for a 2.5-4" lift and they are fine now.

90K5