Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upper Ajax Last Weekend - the trip from hell....!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by marv_springer, Jan 28, 2003.

1. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

For those of you who don't know, Upper Ajax is a short trail (about 1/4 mile long), but it does have a few good obstacles. Last weekend, our group met on Saturday morning, and decided to run Upper Ajax because we could do it quickly, and then return to play in Lower Woodpecker. To say it didn't work out as planned is a huge understatement. Here's the damage report:

Rob (therobzilla) - FI problem - got trailer'd home
    Scott (crazyscott) - replace p/s belt
    DJ (10boltsforever) - steering box? .... no left turn
    Marv (marv_springer) - 12b axle shaft
    Duane (TJsarethesh!t) - rear shock
    Alan (greenblazer) - rear d-shaft rear U-joint
    Shane (smp) - no damage & didn't wheel, but saved us w/ parts

The 12 bolt "trail" rebuild took the most time... I broke the axle at about 1:00 pm in the afternoon, and we didn't hit the warm bed at home till past midnight. Although I've now broken my streak of "maintenance free 12b" time, I'm still not ready to go 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif..

But what I must say was the best thing that happened was that we all stuck together. I've commonly said "we all go in - we all come out"..... and this trip proved that beyond a doubt. Personally, I'd like to say thanks to all on this ride - and say that I couldn't have destroyed my rear end with a better group of people /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Marv

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry to hear about the toubles, doesn't sound too bad though, just time eating. As for this being your first rear end problem, I don't know about that. Seems I remember you having some rear end problems last time we were on Ajax. Took about 15 minutes for Jill to fix it IIRC... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Marv, Rob, Russ and fellow Arizonans (sp?),

Thanks for the support today. You know what I am talking about.

Sean has been talking about your trip ever since he got back. He sure was impressed with how you guys stuck together and helped each other.

Last thing to mention, Marv I need to get together and talk about how to incorporate the Springer Suspention without rasing my truck. I'm willing to work with you and develope any new ideas you have at the same time without charge. We just need to set down and talk.

Thanks to all,

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Marv, im sorry to hear that. you want a 12 bolt for a spare parts bin?
    or an inexpensive 14 bolt? when you are ready that is. i know you know the limits on your foot, and truck.

sorry out the breakage, but glad to hear yall had fun.

besides i would rather do a rear shaft than a steering joint...
    grant

5. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

So wheres all the pics i know there were a couple of cameras going out there.