Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upper ball joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KILLERK5, Aug 2, 2003.

1. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I dont know how to get the nut on the top to tighten. The bolt/post that the nut is on spins as well. There is a notch on the top of the post, but I can't get a screwdriver in there and tighten the bolt at the same time. Is there a special tool or something? if so where do I get one. My whole tire is loose and it causes the truck to wobble if I hit a bump just right, kindof scary. Anyways, Thanks!!!!

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

If you have air and a impact gun, sometimes you can burb the gun and get that to work it. You should also put weight back on the knuckle. jack it up by the knuckle. that might put enough pressure on it to hold it. Cosidering the problem you are having, you might want to consider changing it.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I had to weld one together one time to get it appart. It was interesting...lol. All the grease inside the joint caught fire. Stunk like hell. Good $hit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

pair of needle nose vice grips? maybe pry in there with a prybar or screwdriver?

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Is the adjusting sleeve tighten correctly and to the proper torque?

6. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just did mine today on my front 3/4-ton 10 bolt.

The factory manual says to put the lower ball joint in first - (without the top threaded sleave in the top)

Then torque the bottom to between 50-70 ft-lbs (the factory manual said 50 - the ball joint instructions said 70 - so I compromised at 60!) - My axle is out of the truck right now, so I rolled it upside down on the jackstands, then had my buddy push for all he was worth on the knuckle (straight down)

It tightened up just fine - then you put the threaded sleeve in the top - torque that to 50 lbs as well...

Then the top castle nut went on just fine - the threaded sleeve holds the ball stud from spinning (at least in my case)

Hope that helps!

7. Zeus33rd

IGOR has it pretty much correct-
    Install knuckle with new ball joints in the axle. Put the upper nut on without the sleeve. Tighten fairly tight...No cheater pipe or anything- Enuff to pull the lower ball joint stud into the hole so you can torque it.

Torque the bottom nut to spec.

Remove upper nut, install sleeve- torque to spec. Replace upper nut. Torque to spec. Easy as that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

saweet, thats the info I was looking for, I'm doing mine this coming week hopefully.

-Jeremy

** search words**
    ball joint, adjustment sleeve, camber collar, knuckle, torque /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif (now everyone can find it,LOL)

9. Zeus33rd

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I don't want to replace the ball joint right now, all I need to do is get the castle nut tightened so my wheel can't wobble back and fourth. When I get enough time I will do the ball joint. Thanks for the help!!

11. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

If the upper is wobbling, chances are the adjusting sleeve is broken or if you are unlucky, the axle housing is wasted. Just pull the thing apart and fix it the right way. Avoid the force of natural selection!

12. Zeus33rd

Just tightening the nut won't stop the wheel from wobbling. It'll just make it progressivly worse. You need to replace the ball joints. If you can't tighten the upper nut cause it spinds the ball joint, thats a sure sign that both ball joints are wasted.

13. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

was there a cotter pin in it when you first noticed it? If so, the nut didnt move and something is worn out or broken.. I had the same thing going on, my sleeve was broken in a couple peices.. the ball joint itself may have been wasted too.. Sure, tighten it for now but walk softly until you have the cash to replace em.. its money well spent and good peice of mind.. oh- its a PITA too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mike