Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

upper king pin remove and replace

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Jun 13, 2002.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi,

I have to change the upper king pins in My 60. I know the allen head size is 7/8 but i havn't been able to find a source for the tool. Can anyone tell ware to get one or if the Dana Spicer tools are availiable (number given in online manual).

Also, to get the 500-600 ft/lbs of tourque on the king pins can I simply make a 5 foot long braker bar and weld a socket at the end of it to attach the tourque wrench (set to 100 ft/lbs) ?

Thanks
    Russ V

2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Most Bearing Supply Houses, also Sell Tools. Buy a 7/8 Allen Head Socket, in 1/2 or 3/4 Drive, Prefferably 3/4 for the Torque, and use You"re 5ft. Pipe or Bar.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most rental shops rent a 3/4" drive torque wrench and they will do 500 ft/lbs. I rented one for 2 days for 29 bucks.

4. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

Go to www.MSCdirect.com

Part #75470567 7/8" ALLEN SHORT ARM HEX KEY $12.44 plus shipping.

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We actually found the tool from the snap on guy (and he enjoyed using it on us.....) and use a torque multiplyer that takes a 1/2" drive on the torque wrench side and a 3/4 drive on the torquee side.

6. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi Stephen,
    I checked the torque multipliers out and they are a little on the pricy side. Can a 5 foot bar inbetween the king pin and the torque wrench (set to 100 ft/lbs) get the pin to 500 ft/lbs? also do you have the part number for the snap on 7/8 socket head?

any word on the front springs?

Thanks
    Russ Vassar

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Now I have another reason for having a snap-on 3/4" drive torque wrench. It's not just for big rig engines now. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The socket head allen says "IMA283". It's 1" drive and we have a 3/4 to 1" adapter. It's #GLA72A. Lube spec for these parts is vaseline, probably lubed for life after the initial purchase.
    /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif
    Without getting too deep into it, I think you'd have to figure in the lever arm length of your torque wrench with your lever length. So if you want to set the wrench to 100 ft-lb, you need a TOTAL lever of 5.5 feet to get 550 ft-lb on the pin. If your wrench is 1.5 feet, you'll need a 4 foot extension. When the pin goes to 550, the bar will stop, then the wrench will click and you're done.
    Or you could put a 5.5 foot bar on it and apply a 100 lb load to it somehow, maybe just by pulling pretty hard? That depends on your personal calibration specs.