Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Upside down front springs....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Aug 27, 2005.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Has anyone done this? In my guesstimation, a really cheap lift would be to turn the front leaves upside down, and install a flip out back. I could dissassemble them and put the helper spring on the bottom like it should be. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

The fronts have lots of negative arch, '90 Suburban.

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Whaaaaaaaat?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They'll still have negative arch. With no weight on them they're pretty much flat. The net effect would probably be to actually lower the front of your truck because the way that the spring eyes are wrapped would move the main leaf UP about 2 inches when you flip the leaf over...

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The fronts shouldnt have negative arch. They are that way just because they are old and saggy. If you flip them over, then they will just bend back the other way and you will be back where you started. The only way to lift the front for next to nothing is 52's or 56's.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my burb too, but i dont really know how much you would gain out of it the bushing is on top of the spring so flipping it would but it on the bottom lowering the truck a bit plus i dont know how it would interfer.

also even it it did work that single front spring is so week it would prob just go negative again.

take it to a spring shop and have them re arch it and maybe add another leafe to it, if you looking for cheap, wouldent be that much.

look on ebay, someone has a supperlift stor that sells scrached and dent springs, lots of real cheap deals, get your fronts and the n flip the rear

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Not true. GM designed them to have negative arch. They came from the factory that way.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i think what it was, was a factory hight restriction, so insted of reworking the suspention to have more travvel but not be as high, they changed the spring ato bring it down and the front has NO travel, ok well it has 1/2 an inch

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Exactly, stock springs are negative arch.

9. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

Agree with that to a point. Now tell us how to steer safe for next to nothing.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

" the bushing is on top of the spring "

Forgot about that....Just walking by I thought duh, why hasn't someone thought of that before ?!?

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Guess I need to read up on the 52" swaps into the front....I haven't really payed that much attention to those posts, but now with the second 'Burb :whistle: