Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urban Creek Cleanup Successful

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Djroffroad, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

The Johnson Creek cleanup was great. This is an urban creek that has alot of green space surounding it and use to be stocked with fish, but has become too polluted. For the people living around the creek, the only contact they have had with 4x4s have been from them tearing up the green space around the creek and dumping garbage in any and every spot they can find.

The Lents Neighborhood Association put numberous drop boxes around the area and we joined them in this effort and put a huge dent in the problem. Scott, his wife Judy, their daughter Safire, me, Jay all pitched in and had a great time.

There was trash in the creek we winched out. Jay had some hip waders and hooked up my winch to all the trash he could find which included tires, table legs, a full bag of lime, a fire mantle, an air mattress, and other misc garbage. The most disturbing of all the trash was a car battery that had the fill covers removed. It was dumped right off a bridge into the center of the creek.

We went to a large dump site that was a huge mess. Here we found kitchen trash, car parts, a couch, enough cloths to fill 5 suit cases, Car seats, a diving board, more tires, other general trash, and it was all mixed with a whole lot of broken glass that was even mixing into the soil. But at least it wasn't put directly into the creek. Someone actually put an effort into hiding their garbage here.

That site took about 3 hours to get clean. it was mixed into blackberry bushes, and there was alot of small material making it a tedious job.

We finally got back to the dumpster and unloaded. Then we help some of the residents unload what they had gathered during the day.

The association was very thankfull and told us how much they appriciated us comming to help out, then they invited us to a BBQ afterwards.

We had left a positive impact on ourselves, the enviorment, and the people of the neighborhood. Very special thanks to those that showed up to leant a hand. We left a very good impression.

See the pictures

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

hey dan,your effort is appreciated and whoever else went also,as you know i live in wa.but had to work yesterday(new job no time off yet) thanks for representing the club in a positive manner.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great job Dan.

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Re: Urban Creek Cleanup Successful *DELETED*

Post deleted by Goober

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Great job Dan. sounds like a mess. I know the battery thing was scary but so is a whole bag of lime in the water. do they have plans to correct the water and restock it?

6. Djroffroad

They do some talk, but the city takes little action. The city is the one that created the green space, but that is all they have done. There is a Johnson Creek Water Shed Council that does some activities, but anything that is done is mostly by the residents aacting on their own.

My immediate neighbors are the ones spending their own money to plant trees and maintain the water shed the best they can. They do more by far than anyone else I have seen.

7. Djroffroad

The green space created by the city has made things even worse by giving people a place they can toss trash. I am very upset by how the city has handled the whole thing.

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I know I drove back in ther being really careful as not to mess up the land and all the bunnies. I did notice a lawn chair and such stuff in the berry vines. To bad they couldn'tfence it off or turn it into a wildlife refuge. It would then be sanctioned by federal and state laws and well the fines for dump are jail or prison.