Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urban exploring...and Got stopped by the 5-0 coming out of acomplex

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 15, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Me, my brother and his buddy went to do a little exploring of an abandoned psychiatric complex a couple towns over, and on the way out of the doctors housing area, a county cop pulled in and blinded us. Not a problem, I completely understand, I put one hand out the window, the other clearly up where he can see it, and I'm ready for business.
    He asked me what I was doing, I said just doing a little urban exploring, no vandalism or even getting out of the truck.
    So he's like, "So you smoking a little weed? Having a couple drinks? Foolin around with some girls?"
    That took me totally off guard... I haven't been accused of or thought of doing that stuff in 10 years, not to mention I deal with cops and county officials fairly regularly lately, and we all seem to acknowledge each other as peers.
    So anyway, I laughed and asked him if he was serious, I haven't even thought about that crap in years. Hell I thought I looked pretty adult and carried myself like a little bit of a grownup lately... I was even disappointed I didn't get carded at the bar yesterday...

The area we were in had no postings about trespassing or anything. You could literally take a wrong turn and wind up in the area.

I'm sure the cop was expecting car thieves (there're a bunch of trashed/abandoned cars in the woods a mile away) or vandals/crackheads, but he didn't need to be a bunghole after I explained what we were doing. I could have lied, it's easy enough to play dumb and say we took a wrong turn or something else that's believable, but I was strait with him, figuring he's an adult with some dignity, I'll talk to him like he's one, and, I have nothing to hide. He talked to me like I was a 21 year old punk looking for a place to smoke a doobie... I guess I'm not complaining, just a little annoyed for being hassled like I was 18 again, when I thought I was all over that.

For any urban explorers, this is the place:
    http://www.lioddities.com/Asylums/pilgrim/index.html

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what an ass, i woulda kicked him in the balls... but not really...

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

yeah me too, probably not... :rotfl:

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

That sucks. This guy has never met you and is going off on suspicion first and thinking that there were other reasons for you guys being there (because most of the time - people are off the path for other reasons than just to be off the "beaten" path). There are better ways to find out what is going on rather than asking stupid and insulting questions.

When he asked if you were out with some girls, you should have said, "Yes, with your mom." :haha:

My guess is the guy was brand new or way old. Sounds like a good trip though.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its part of the hassle and release program especially for people trying to get into asylums at midnight.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

bungholio... thats our middle name,,,

um... who might he be encountering in an abandoned mental hospital?

I cant tell you how many people go "yes" to the questions he asked

Im glad you didnt get cited for trespass or prowling or the zillion other chicken**** laws he COULD have dinked you on....

Whining is NOT allowed.... :-)

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

lol no whining, but being an unexcuseable prick is? ive dealt with my fair share of the law for whatever miniscule reasons and some of them were mature adults and some of them acted worse than a punk kid that they thought they were talking to, im a firm believer that you must give respect to receive it.... and ill be damned if ANYBODY will get it from me if they treat me like that... //rant off...

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I was clicking through the pics of the old buildings and came across this... "used once" :haha:

[​IMG]

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ain't that the truth. It is not uncommon to have an officer ask "Any dope in the car" and have the driver say "Just a little weed in my pocket" (which usually turns into an eight ball of coke or a lot more weed). Sometimes an officer asks "anybody drinking" and a passenger in the backseat blurts out "I'm drunk, but I'm not driving", which is still a crime of public intoxication even though you are in a car. Or a passenger blurts out "I told him not to go here because it is trespassing". That would kind of be a giveaway that they knew they weren't supposed to be somewhere. It never hurts to ask lots of questions because you never know who you are talking to. Unless he wants to elaborate on more of the contact, it sounds like the perception the cop was an asshat was based more upon the type of questions he asked, which were perceived as insulting, rather than his actual demeanor. Not every cop is going to come up with a big smile on their face, jaw jack about your rig, and slap you on the back and send you packing with a teddy bear. What some people perceive is "rude" is just the officer being dispassionate and stern. I think the comment that the cop was expecting car thieves wasn't off the mark. Who do you think the cop normally runs into on abandoned private property in the middle of the night? Why do you think he happened to be there? As CamsK5 said, the proof is in what happened to you in the end. No cite, no arrest, no impounded car, just a stern talking to. Sounds like you were miles ahead. As for respect, if you wait around in life for people to give you respect first before you give it back, you are in for a long wait. Cops don't have to respect you, they have to be professional. That is the respect they are required to provide. Respect doesn't mean being loose or slaphappy with every contact. As long as they aren't downright rude, profane, or way over the line, they are just doing their jobs.

Oh, and you don't have to have a bazillion signs on a property for it to be closed to the public. Most people who own property don't put No Trespassing signs up every 10 feet. The law presumes that most people have some common sense. Having said that, I do totally dig on checking out old abandoned buildings and wish there were more of them available to scope out.

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wasn't file-a-complaint-pissed, just annoyed. It was his attitude and presentation that irked me, not as much as the questions. He asked like he knew I was smoking weed and rolling hookers and he was writing my confession for me, not the standard "any drugs or weapons in the car" that I've gotten the last dozen times I've been stopped (and in fairness those were 8-10 years ago; maybe times are worse now). I'm sure if I was doing any of that, I'd have been less shocked, so maybe that was his objective.

I'm not saying the cop didn't do his job and was totally unprofessional, but with the area being so easy to accidentally get into, it shouldn't be difficult to believe curious people who don't wish to break the law may be in there. Maybe he did believe that, but wanted to be pushy to see if I'd crack or slip some lie or criminal confession out.
    Last night, I was much more annoyed and a little pissy about it, probably more annoyed than I should have been. Today my feelings are more like whatever, no big deal. Sleep is good :thumb:.

And yeah, I rolled away without any citation or anything other then my plate being run, so he didn't bust my nuts like he could have I'm sure. :thumb: BTW, I showed him respect first, I was completely compliant and spoke with respect to his authority, I wasn't waiting for him to show me the same.
    Oh, on a side note, while I might look grownup and non-punk, my 18 year old brother in the passenger seat was dressed like M & M, so that might have influenced the 5-0's perception. Maybe sleep also refreshed that fact...

It's a mile or so from a minority ghetto, I'm sure there's plenty of crime on the grounds, and he probably rolled up expecting punk-ass bitches in a stolen truck. I guess I was just annoyed to be cast back in that teenage/punk-ass/vandal/rebellious position.

Regarding the no trespassing, though, the entrance is off a main road (that's how we got approached, the cop was on the main road and saw our lights in the woods), and appears to be a road, so it's easy to turn into it without knowing it's not a public sideroad. For reasons I don't understand, the roads are all well maintained, too, which lessens the idea that you're in a closed/abandoned area. The buildings are collapsing, but the roads look great. :crazy:

I know what it really is; They see me rolling, they be hatin. They're tryin a catch me ridin derty.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If you check out that site, check out building 35.
    http://www.lioddities.com/Asylums/pilgrim/35_set1.htm

It blows my mind the way some of the photos show the rooms. Generators, transformers, racks of equipment, entire offices that still look occupied...

I wish this place was like this ten years ago when I was a punk... I'd have actually gone into some of the buildings instead of just doing a little wheelin on the grounds.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

He was probably wondering why you were wearing a bike helmet while you driving your truck. Ya' gotta admit, Ratch, that makes people suspicious......:rotfl:

13. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

WERD SON, FO SHAZZLE, yo and all that stuff

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:haha: :haha:

But I'm just so used to it! :rotfl:

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Fixed:D :D

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha, friggin perfect! I gotta go watch that video now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

I just saw there's a cameo by Jamie Kennedy in it, and Donny Osmond is in it? That's crap is too dang funny.

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't you mean a hockey helmet? :doah: :haha:

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That place looks like where they filmed the majority of Silent Hill. It was a pretty stoopid movie but asylums kreep me out:o.

Ira

20. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

id have been in that building in a heart beat, i love exporing abandoned building and churches. found some real cool ones in detroit one night.