Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urban Legend - Traffic Ticket Tech

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbluesuburban, Jul 1, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

I was out driving today and got a ticket for not wearing my seat belt...

I understand that it's the law, so I break the law at my own risk. But for the record, I do not understand why it is that the government thinks they have to protect me from me. Sure, protect me from all you crazy SOB's, but I know how dangerous I am and stay out of my own way.

So anyway, I remember reading an urban legend that said that if you overpay a ticket via the mail and the courts send you a refund back for the amount overpaid and you don't deposit the check then the ticket will not show up on your record because the case is never closed due to the outstanding refund check.

Anyone else ever heard of this? Anyone ever tried it? What were the results?

I am going to and I will see what happens. I am going to send them $100 for a $97 ticket. If I get a refund check, and this whole thing works... I am going to have it framed. If it don't work, I will use the $3 to buy cigarettes for my boyfriend in prison. I really hope thing go the other way :crazy:

I am not a pretty man, and I don't look good in a dress (long story).

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

privilage not a right, insurance rates yadda yadda yadda...

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

They will cancel the check after 180 days and send the $$ to the "lost funds" division in your state. You can then claim it, without interest, whenever after presenting 38 forms of ID and filling $237 worth of forms. They will also close the case.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

seatbelt tickets don't go on your record anyways, it's not a moving violation

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Girl in my english class died last month in a car wreck. Everyone who had a seatbelt on in the car lived.:rolleyes:

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Proven fact that seat belts save lives and keep insurance rates lower for all of Us who pay. Any argument against seat belts is simply retarded.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Says it all right there...

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Screw you guys, I rather enjoy my right eyeball sitting on a quarter sized teflon coated plate, not to mention all the cool screws I have in my skull, or the fact that my mug is now even uglier then before is reason enough not to wear one, well that and the fact that I had double vision for two months til the swelling went down enough for that thrill ride of a surgery I had to go through....Ahhh good times...:haha: :haha: :haha: Like talkin to a brick wall,,, like clappin with one hand, stomp stomp stomp, the idiot convention...:D

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

It is an urban legend with no basis in fact.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its hard to wear one when you know more people who have been killed in car accidents wearing seatbelts than people who have walked away from a major crash.

a guy i went to school with was passing a piece of farm machinery on a country road when suddenly it made a turn, put the back of the implement right through the drivers side a pilar on his '70 C10, and pulled the b pilar in the rear. had he not been thrown to the passenger side of the truck when he swerved in attempt to miss it, he'd be in at least 2 pieces. not so much as a bruise on him though.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

For some reason I don't mind YOU not wearing a seatbelt.

Perhaps it's your inability to grasp the statistical likelihood of dying by NOT wearing one, anecdotal evidence to the contrary, that should not be passed on to future generations :)

Let me guess, you also don't wear your belt in case you're trapped underwater and can't break free?

The only problem I have with your deathwish is that my insurance would go up if you died in an accident with me, even though it was your fault.

Fortunately this is all academic, as I live so many miles away ... but I don't envy the poor sod who you ram into thinking you're safe.

BTW, do you drive a Volvo? :haha:

-- A

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Rollcages are also for pussies, and half tons are enough for 49's

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Real Men clean their guns with one in the chamber.........

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not wearing a seatbelt may be "retarded"... but I see no reason for the government to step in and stop people from doing what may be retarded. I mean, standing on your head in the corner and playing paddle ball would be sort of retarded... should there be a law against it? This, IMO, is one of those things that should be "do it at your own risk" and that should be the end of it. Fireworks are the same way. There is no legit reason for government to be involved. If you blow your finger off with an M80, tought titties for you.

j

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Never said that the Government should force it. I however stand by My statement that the argument against seat belts is retarded.

16. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Here is a reason:

-Fatalities and accidents involving those not wearing seat belts costs the U.S. approximately $20 billion per year. Of that cost, 74% of the tab is paid for by the public.

-4,200 lives could be saved each year if 90% of the U.S. population wore seat belts.

If you are on your own property it is one thing. Driving on a public road is another thing.

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Where do you get these stats? Do they have any stats on how many dollars are spent for health related issues from people being fat? How many dollars for health related issues for smokers? How many smokers die every year from smoking?

Maybe the cops need to write tickets for smoking and being fat? It would certainly save many more lives and much more money than fixing the seat belt problem... since saving lives and money is what it's all about.

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Its only "at your own risk" if you are picking up the tab when you fall over and the paddle gets jammed up your ass causing brain damage.

If you require medical attention that the government (read:Taxpayers - read:me) has to pay for, then you should be required to take precautions that are statistically proven to be very, very likely to keep the paddle out of your ass and your brain safe.

19. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

if only we could... then we could make a dent in all the money spent for medical treatment for fat smoking non seatbelt wearing numbnuts

20. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I agree.:wink1: