Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urethane dash pad

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, May 27, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone install one of these? I bid on and won on E-bay a dash pad "made in the USA by GM custom parts ... retails for over $400". Sounds like a stock replacement, right? When it shows up, it's a solid urethane replacement dash by some non-GM related company. I think it's misleading, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing that LMC and Chevyduty sell for around $225. I got it for $207, so should I just keep it and give the guy neutral/bad feedback for misleading me? (the seller is thepartsplaceinc, he sells hundreds of things on E-bay).

I'm kind of annoyed, but maybe not enough to bother packaging it up and fighting over return shipping, etc. It doesn't look terrible, but there are some injection moulding imprfections (little bumps and stuff) that nobody would ever tolerate on a new car or something. But then, the urethane will never ever crack like the microthin vinyl over foam OE dash. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Neutral feedback seems OK, but it is misleading, and because of that you could write a negative response. I only read the negative response, not the neutral...

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I put one of the urethane ones in my '79K5 about 4 years ago, got it from www.cheyennepickup.com - was a good deal at $195 and fit like stock.

4. Mastiff

What do you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7902161924

Does that sound like a urethane replacement dash pad?

I wrote him this:
    [ QUOTE ]
    The auction said "made in the USA by GM reproduction parts". What does that mean? The part I received looks like a urethane replacement. Am I missing something? Since you said it "retails for over $400" I figured it would be an OE replacement, but I can get urethane dashboards for around $200 all over the place. This is misleading.

[/ QUOTE ]

He wrote:
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is made in the USA and is a licensed GM restoration part. I don't understand the confusion.
    Thank You,
    The Parts Place

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the guy is jerking me around. Plus I suspect that he pumped up the private auction by bidding himself. It was kind of suspicious that I outbid the pervious bidder by $2.50 and won with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What I plan on doing this summer for my dash pad is to remove it, go down to a local upholstery supply and get a nice big piece of suede to wrap around my pad and put it back in . I am also going to do my lower door panels like that .

Your thing did sound misleading, but if it fits and works good, run it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

After the response you got from him, I'd give negative feedback. To me, that response indicates that he's NOT interested in your satisfaction with the product he sold you.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    After the response you got from him, I'd give negative feedback. To me, that response indicates that he's NOT interested in your satisfaction with the product he sold you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i second that, they don't lie to you they just dont tell you everything so they get away with
    what thjey want with half truths.

IT is a gm replacement part, but it is not a replacement part FROM GM

8. Mastiff

The dash is made by "dashesdirect.com", and they say suggested retail is $229. I asked the guy to show me one single retailer that sells these things for "over $400". I never heard back.

Here his site:

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/

Anyone live in Chicago? I'm going to try to get my money back today. I really ought to be refunded for shipping back too, but I won't push my luck with this A-hole. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I also wrote to dashes direct, since the quality is so poor, I wonder if this guy is getting factory rejects or something. I was going to just live with the little cosmetic flaws, but when I tried to install my trim, there was like a 1/4" gap where you could see light under the trim. I would not be happy with that. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif