Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT: 14BFF Carrier Removal/Installation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Sep 28, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I need to pull my carrier on my 14 bolt so I can replace my pinion pilot bearing, race hits the ring gear. Anyway, are my steps correct here?:

1) Check backlash
    2) Remove carrier and do my work
    3) Replace carrier and adjust till backlash is where it was when I started.

Right?

2. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

yup that sounds right. Use a punch on the adjusters to mark your spots and count the turns so you can put them back where they were.

3. willyswanter

Woh, ok I think I found my rearend noise problem...

The carrier is actually moving a bit left and right and forward and back

I checked the backlash with the carrier moved away from the pinion and it was .013 and with it pushed against the pinion it was .009.

So, my question is, what are the "used gear set" backlash specs? It looks like I'm going to need to replace the carrier bearings and I need to know what to set the backlash at once it's replaced since I can't get a good reading now. Or shoudl I just spit it and run .011? I know the new gear set specs are .006" - .010" but I am not sure if this should be the same for used gears, I Know the pinion preload is different for the used bearings.

Whatcha think. Think this is why I had gear whine and bearing noise all the sudden? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. willyswanter

Ok, I got the carrier out. Carrier bearing races have spun in the carrier bearing caps... The caps and housing look fine, no grooves or anything and it doesn't look like they spun alot. So I'm going to pick up a new set of carrier bearings tomorrow and install them. Any idea what could cause the bearing preload to back off and the races to spin???

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't recall having to remove the carrier to get out the pilot bearing...I thought you just had to take the pinion support out? It has been a long time sence I did mine (chewed up the pinion when it went out...why couldn't they put a inner race in there /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

How did the carrier bearings and races look ? Any pic's ?
    It might be possible that you put way to much preload on the carrier bearings and burned them up - causing them to wear out quickly and giving you the additional clearance all of the sudden.
    As far as the back lash - it does not need to increa/decrease with a used set of gears but you do have to set the pattern up to the established pattern that is already ther if you expect good gear life.
    Good luck , Tom

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    It might be possible that you put way to much preload on the carrier bearings and burned them up -

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as everybody I talked to that is very hard to do. If you are talking about the adjuster rings I don't know how you could get them that tight...they are pretty soft metal, and i doubt you can get the bearing caps too tight. Just my opinion.

8. willyswanter

I followed the instructions and it said to use a 10" spanner on the adjuster rings and I quote "you could lean all your weight on the spanner and still not put enough load on it to wear the bearings". Or something like that...

Anyway, I know the caps were torqued to spec to. The bearings looked good. The races looked good on the bearing side but it was marked up from spinning on the other side.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Jason...set-up specs here.

http://www.ring-pinion.com/tech/techind.html

I did alot of reading on the subject when I set mine up. Spec for back lash is .006-.010. With the lower end of the scale being best. With your carrier wandering around in the housing like it did, trying to match the original bl settings would be pointless. Set it to spec. There is also no spec for carrier bearing pre-load. I have read the "use a 10" spanner" method, but I think thats way to much. Zero preload or just slightly more would be best I think. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. willyswanter

Umm, I thought the more preload the better as long as you don't go too much... Thats at least what I've read in the past... I was thinking that I didn't set enough preload which caused the carrier to become loose once the bearings seated and wore a bit... But then again I may have set them too tight and they wore way too fast and it became loose... But the bearings look good /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Zeus33rd

Also, if the races spun in the housing, (assuming the cap bolts were torqued correctly) then something IS out of spec. The races are NOT supposed to spin in the housing/caps. Thats something you need to look at alot closer.

12. Zeus33rd

If you are using new carrier bearings, then pre-load obviously needs to be more, to account for the break in period. I've never had to replace 14b carrier bearings, so I've never worked with new stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. willyswanter

Ah well yeah ok then... I'm going to be using new stuff /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Stupid question, but do you have the locks to keep the adjusters from rotating in the housing?

15. willyswanter

Yep sure do. Thats one of the reasons I'm confused...

16. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

How tight did you have the bearings? When I was taught how to do rear ends the technician told me to set the preload till you could barely move the ring gear while holding your hand against the housing. Thats the way I have done all the rear ends ive setup and they all work fine.

17. willyswanter

[ QUOTE ]
    set the preload till you could barely move the ring gear while holding your hand against the housing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite getting this... Can you explain?

What I'm thinking is I didn't get enough preload on there and when the bearings seated and got broken in they loosened up way too much...

18. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ok, lay the back of your hand against the top of the housing where the cover bolts on. Then put your pointer and middle finger on the ring gear and use this as your "gauge." You should be able to move it, but it shouldnt be extremely hard or extremely easy. I wish you were about an hour closer because I would come help you do the gears.

19. willyswanter

Ok, got it all done today. I set the preload how you said and set it way looser than I did origionally. I set it about how I did before and I could barely turn it with one hand grabbing the ring gear let alone a couple fingers... So I set it to where I could turn it with my two fingers with some effort and it runs pretty damn nice now... No more noise which = good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif