Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT!!! axle problem - on the road

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Dec 6, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ok guys...

my on-road k5 (I know that's sick to most of you) is having a problem. for anybody who's been around here awhile that isn't a suprise.

well, I had a problem with the yoke the gentleman at high angle helped me identify (don't remember his name), but I do not think I got the preload wrong on the new yoke (torqued it to 150, but it doesn't seem to have any play in it. I'm not sure how much play is right)

when I'm driving it is developing a hi whining noise that gets loader / more persistent over time (when I'm on the throttle, even a little bit for normal driving), and it is developing a vibration which seems to be getting worse also. when I got out & felt the pumpking where the driveshaft goes in it was very hot (would of burned me if I would of touched it long enough). this was after a drive that was around 1 hour 20 minutes.

now - I've got about a 1 hour drive in the morning, and then a 3+ hour trip home tomorrow. is this something that needs fixed / adjusted (and if so how quickly), or is this something I can fix when I get home and tolerate for now? I'm assuming the bearing is the problem, and I'm also assuming it's going to be toast. is this something I can fix myself, or something I will have to have fixed?

suggestions please...

2. solowookie

p.s.

I'm 45+ miles from the nearest anywhere that would have somebody that could help me adjust this. I really need to figure out if I can limp this thing home or not.

I torqued the nut to 150 ft/lbs when I put the new yoke on. I'm not sure if it's too loose, or too tight. this axle has about 10,000 miles on a new rebuilt / regearing. I'd like to salvage it, and keep it from having more problems if possible.

3. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Is the drive shaft balanced? I wouldnt drive it, unless you want the rear to puke out the gears.

Good luck
    -Matt

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well Diffs do get warm. What you concider hot and what I concider hot are tow different things. When gears are new they tend to run a little hotter till the break in. 10k they should be broke in.
    Whine is a bad thing. Most of the time that means their is already a problem. Now if the problem is correctable without a new R&P your won't know till its opend up and inspected.
    The torque on the nut means nothing. The preload on the bearings is determined by the amount of force it takes to turn the pinion. On used bearings that's about 12 inlb of force as measured with a dial inlb torque wrench. If the crush sleaver was crushed to much the only fix is to install a new crush sleeve.
    It's a hard call. It's possible the damage is already done and driving it more may or may not matter.
    You might try to get a quart of gear oil and over fill it some. If you can get the truck on a hill or off camber a good bit you could proably squeeze and extra half quart into the diff pretty easy. That will increase it's thermal mass and keep the heat down a little. Take it easy speed wise if you decide to run it home.
    Till you pull that cover and check the gears your not going to get a clear answer on what is going on.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't mean to be negative, but if it blows its beets, and you have a slip yoke...pull the carrier, remove the ring gear and put the carrier back in and run in 4wd...that'll get you home.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> All of the symptoms point to fried pinion bearings. There's not a whole lot you can do for it now, the damage is pretty much done. If it were me I'd probably just drive it home, it might make it without a problem; but if the howling gets noticably worse I'd yank the rear shaft and drive the rest of the way in front wheel drive. Either way, the bearings are going to need to be replaced, which means the gears will need to be setup again. If the gears didn't eat a chunk of bearing they'll probably be fine.</font color>

7. solowookie

ok guys...

here's an update. last night I was able to get a guy on the phone about 10:20 that doesn't do axles for a living, but does a ton of GM axle jobs. he thought I didn't have the crush sleave tight enough.

well - like I mentioned I was in an extremely small town, and as small towns would have it my step father-in-law (better man, and more of a grandfather / father to my family then her real father - he's not a dead beat, but this guys is a super guy) knew the mechanic across the road who just happened to be in this morning.

well at about 7:45 I called him, and asked if I could borrow the tools to torque / set the proper preload on this axle. well I walk across the street to his shop, and ask if he minds if I do it there, and use his creeper / air gun. he says no, and it won't cost me anything.

well I get the drive shaft off, and he tell me he wants to check the rear end first (evidently he does rear ends too - what are the odds?). he told me the preload was perfect.

I then had him go for a ride with me, and he thought the sound like the ring gear was adjusted too tight. said it was bad, but he had heard a lot worse, and I should make it home OK if I took it slow and easy.

well - we limped it home, ditched my wifes family Christmas party (cuz that would of cost an extra 50 miles of driving). we walked in the door, and it got us all the way here.

now - I've got to decide if I want to learn to do these myself (yes I have heard these are extremely hard, but I'm still consideriing learning to do them), or to have somebody else do it.

I still have to think this has something to do with bearing wear, or incorrect preload. I've been running a little over 10,000 miles with a pretty good vibration in the drive train (had a bad yoke, and didn't realize it - pulled my hair out checking / fixing everything else), and I also put the new yoke on.

I guess we'll find out when I get this thing fixed &amp; torn apart. I will probably pull it in early next week &amp; pop the cover &amp; inspect things.

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Glad you made it!

You still ok with the guy that sold it to you???? Is he on the forum?

9. solowookie

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif let's not even touch that subject... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

let's just say if what comes around goes around then... in 1 1/2 years since I've owned this (and I purchased it as my family vehicle) I haven't had 1 trip in which everything has worked correctly on this thing. I rarely trust to take it anywhere long distance, and everytime I do I seem to find a new wrinkle.

the good parts is that before long I will literally have a new k5 (at least right now that's the theory, and I'm sticking to it). I have not idea if he's still around. don't really care, and I figure he'll get his own.

he claims he doesn't know a thing, and is just plain ignorant of everything. well the 1 part I know he 100% lied to me about is that he told me the a/c worked perfectly. the compressor was bad, most of the vents were missing under the dash, and the wires that controller the compressor had been cut off where they came out of the harness.

whatever else happened to it who in the world knows. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I figure what comes around goes around, and some day he's gonna get it good by somebody. I don't think I have to worry about anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I dream of the day when I can actually enjoy this thing. if nothing else I think this little problem will isolate the rest of the vibes in my drive train I haven't been able to get rid of.

10. 89GMCSuburban

If it's a 10 bolt, it's the easiest in the world to do. The 10 bolt shims from the outside, which means no bearing pulling. Try this...pull the carrier, but keep the shims on the correct sides. Switch one of the shims to the passenger side from the driver side...put the carrier back in, and check the gear mesh...adjust as needed...it shouldn't take you long at all. I did my front 10 bolt with new R&amp;P and carrier in about 4 hours...rears are MUCH easier.

11. 89GMCSuburban

Hey I know where your coming from. Mine, I bought it, rear end went out 2 weeks later, trans 2 months later, T-case needed rebuild, engine now needs to be replaced, fuel pump, radiator, water pump, u-joints (needed new shaft, holes wallowed out), brakes, A/C...twice, alternator...

12. solowookie

yea - well when I got this I literally couldn't run it at highway speeds here (which is 75) in the freeway (full throttle). I would get passed on the hills by VW buses.

I determined I rebuild this engine after I took it on my first trip. well on the trip I blew the tranny and the engine. I also had both axles regeared from 3.08's to 4.10's before this trip too. it had a lift with tires that were so small with the wrong back spacing that you literally could not control this thing on the road over 55. turned out to have a 305 block with the 350 heads etc. on it. I'm sure there was absolutely no compression.

so - if the first month's existence of this thing it had new tires &amp; wheels, front &amp; rear axles regeared, new engine (couldn't even use old block for a $15 core charge), new top end I already had purchsed for it because of it's power problems, and a new tranny.

that was just the tip of the iceburg... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

oh yea, and mudfreak claimed he knew nothing about mechanic's etc. I just searched up his post from may where he had his blazer all ripped apart, and was putting new floors in it. don't know about your, but doesn't sound like a job for a guy who wouldn't know better &amp; can't work with his hands...

13. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well at least the paint hasn't fallen off LOL.

14. solowookie

no it hasn't, but it's got a couple of spots where the rust underneath is starting to bubble / surface. at some seems (not a big deal), but one on the rear drivers fender that's going to have to be fixed...

what my point to that? even the paint hasn't been solid / sound. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Jeff we live in the same nightmare. Hey, but you figured out one more problem! One step closer to that new truck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. solowookie

everybody keeps asking me when I'm going to sell it... I'm like are you kidding??? I've almost, literally, got a new 4x4. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif with all I've spent why would I sell it now?