Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT Body lift Q and A

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So my truck has a 3in body lift already installed when I bought it. The only problem is that the lift is an old one that is made of 3 1" rubber spacers on top of eachother that resemble hockey pucks. The problem is that they are dried, cracked and some of them have collapsed. I am in the middle of some body work and I would like to replace them before the truck goes to the bodyshop for paint. I ordered an new 3" body lift kit with solid 3" spacers. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRA%2DPA%2D513&N=700+4294918515+4294908216+4294925023+4294908183+4294789402+4294906205+115&autoview=sku

So finally my question for you guys is: Do I need to put these on top of the stock bushing which aren't on my truck, or can I just put them metal to metal?

Also If I do need to put them on top of the stock body mount bushings, then where can I get them for real cheap? Also would it be better to use the factory rubber bushings, or aftermarket poly bushings?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

you put them on top of the bushings. the replacement rubber is very expensive (at least that is what I found) the polys are cheaper---i found the summit prices are the best. ask for the energy suspension ones---the first ones that pop up are teh expensive ones.

3. Chevy305

4. SCOOBYDANNN

the prothanes are more expensive--look for the energy suspension ones--same thing-better price. i think i paid $35

5. Chevy305

Summit list Energy Suspention at about $69

6. SCOOBYDANNN

huh? nevermind---go w/ the prothane--they're all the same

7. Chevy305

Ok ordered them overnight shipping. Should get them tomorrow. :)

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

too late!..

You can buy new "stock" body mount bushing sets from :

R.C. Truck Sales in East Bridgewater MA..(near the Brockton line)..I don't have the phone #,(its in my shop written on the wall1)-but google them,it'l show up..

..they also sell body patch panels,spring shackles,leaf springs,brake parts,alternators and starters,U-bolts,and weatherstripping for the doors,along with hundreds of other things like gas tanks,sending units,and radiators.

Their prices are very cheap compared to other places!..been buying stuff there for years,and have had no complaints with quality--and most of the stuff is made in Canada,except for the patch panels..:crazy:

9. Chevy305

Damn!! :mad: I was a little premature :doah:. Should have waited till you came up with the answer. :D

Anyway yeah I googled it and nothing came up. Also looked it the yellow pages, not there either. Could you find me that phone # so I don't have to keep paying shipping on just about everything.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

here ya go...

R.C. Truck Sales-- East Bridgewater MA..
    508-583-9526

If you type it in "google",just like its listed above,(use a period after the "r" and "c",and add east bridgewater MA,and it will show up!--it also has links for directions to get there too..its probably a 1/2 hour to 45 minute ride from your town,but well worth the trip!..

I'd go there if you get a chance,and check out the place-(probably only open 9-5 though on weekdays,not sure about saturday)..-it doesn't look like much from the street,but man,they have a TON of parts there,and they beat everyone elses prices by far..:crazy:

11. Chevy305

Thanks alot! :bow: :waytogo:

I'll go there the next time I need something that I'd normally order from LMC or YearOne.

Mapquest says it'll take 51mins to get there. :haha: I'll make it in like 35 :D

Also do I need to grease my body mounts before I put on the new poly ones?

You have to check this out :haha: :

View attachment 29324

You guys know what this is? A hockey puck, even still has the MVP Sports price tag on it. You'll never guess where I found it...

Thats right it was holding up my body. 3 stacked on top of eachother :eek1: :yikes: Now that is gheto fabbing at its best. :haha:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  12. Chevy305

SON of a B!TCH

Ok so today I have been working on replacing the body mounts. I was surprised they all unbolted real easy. So with My new poly bushings I put on the body lift on the radiator support. The problem being that the poly bushings are about 1 1/4 inch tall so with the 3 inch body lift that makes 4 1/4 inches of lift. Thats too much... There was no way I could get the fenders line up with the cab because of nearly 2 in. difference in height. So I have to replace ALL the mounts in order to put the front end back together. :rolleyes:

Well very long story short the poly bushings + the 3" spacers = too much lift for my mechanical clutch to handle. It was bindling way too much to really be opporative. So as of now my body is currently sitting on poly bushings + rusty 1/4 inch metal spacer + 1 hockey puck = 2.5in of body lift and no clutch binding. And it is really bothering me that I have to use hockey pucks on my body mounts. So what am I to do with all this? Anyone know of any 2" body lift kits or have any helpful advice to point me in the right direction?