Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT Front Driveshaft Question...help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Oct 4, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Should the slip yoke of a front driveshaft be able to come all the way off? Should I be able to see the splines of the shaft? Well, mine doesn't do either. And, this is posing a major problem for me because I'm swapping in my D44 and almost done, except for the driveshaft is stopping about 1/2" too short of the u-joint being able to be bolted in. When I pull on the slip yoke, is slips just fine, but then just stops. It stops before I see any splines sticking out. Is that all the longer my driveshaft is and I'll need to buy a spacer, or should I pound on it with a hammer because the splines just need to break through a burr or something like that? Oh, and the slip yoke is still in good shape...no side-to-side play.

PLEASE HELP...I want to get this done!
    Thanks.

2. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My drive shaft was the same way when I put my lift on. what happens is the old grease gets dirt in it and then gets mixed together and then I will not move. I had to put my drive shaft in some gas for a couple of days so it could break down the grease.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

spray the shaft with some blaster or other penetrating lube where they slide into each other, take a crescent wrench, make it so it fits over the smaller part of the main shaft and up against the front half of the shaft, use your hammer and tap on the crescent wrench and try and get it to slide, if that doesnt work, keep soaking it in blaster, make sure to grease the hell out of it after you get it to reach..

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sounds to me like your driveshaft is just too short. There should not be any splines visible when installed. The small slip portion should be almost collapsed all the way when it is installed correctly. I would say maybe only 1"- 1 1/2" of the slider part exposed, (another words collapse the shaft all the way then pull the slip out 1" - 1 1/2" and that is where it should be.) The reason it will not move anymore is because now the splines are trying to go through the rubber gasket that keeps water and dirt out and it is smaller than the splines are.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I got it hooked up. I just put all the weight of the vehicle on the axle and that allowed me to hook it up. Then I let the axle droop and the splines showed about an 1/8th inch out. Seems to be working alright...but I'm going to get one of these.

Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

superlift has one, pretty stout piece too

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Yea when I went 4in I had to beat it with a hammer to get it to go out But I have a superlift 1in spacer to put in it now... BTW if you havent greesed your front drive shaft you really should

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    if you havent greesed your front drive shaft you really should

[/ QUOTE ]
    Taken care of. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

beating with a hammer, i had to beat my CV joint tonight with a hammer to get it to move, my drivesahft wouldnt turn by hand under the truck, i really hope its just the U-joints /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif