Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!URGENT!! help needed broken down on side of road

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Mar 10, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

The rear yolk just broke apart letting the driveshaft go. It broke apart where the the driveshaft hooks up to the yolk. What do i need to do to get it home I've heard that you can drive it home in 4 wheel drive but my front hubs are not engaging stupid automatic hubs. Even if it did engage how do you keep the yolk from coming out and letting fluid poor out from the transfercase. Please help i came home just to get to my computer because i knew somebody would know what to do.

Kyle

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'll have to tow it...or find a cap of some sorts to keep the fluid in the T-case. If your hubs aren't working towing is about your only option.

Rene

3. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

If your truck is an 86, as in your profile, you probably have an NP208 transfer case. To get it home in 2wd with the problem you describe, you'll need to remove the rear drive shaft (pull the splined yoke right out) and plug the rear output shaft sleeve by taping a cut-in-half pop can on with some duct tape. That should do the trick to keep the transfer case fluid from pouring out. Make sure the front hubs are locked in, put the transfer case in 4HI and away you go.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Remove the rear shaft and use electrical tape and seal the opening real well. Dunno about the front hubs not locking. Just keep working them. They'll lock up!!!!. Smack them with a hammer a few times.

5. blazentank

I will probably tow. But How fast can you go like that in 4 wheel drive if did get the hubs to lock How much does the yolk piece cost just wondering. Also what hubs are best i will be going to manuel now that they did this to me.

6. tRustyK5

I'd keep it to under 40 without a rear driveline...plus I'd stop and check to see if my 'cap' and tape was holding every now and then.

Warn hubs are good...

Rene

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I think for those hubs to lock you have to be moving to make them engage. If your on a hill put it in gear and roll and see if they lock. 45mph should be fairly safe. I'm not sure I would go much faster with a 208 on front drive only. Probably pick up a yoke for $10-15 at the local junk yard. Pop can trick is the ticket for keeping the atf into the case. just be sure it's clean and wipe off where your going to tape with some brake cleaner or the tape will not stick. I have seen people drive a 100 miles home on front drive after busting up a rear shaft like that.
    Scrap them auto hubs. This is the reason why. They have a nasty habit of not locking when you want them too. Super Wenches are usualy in stock at Autozone and Pep Girls. Not a bad hub for the price. 100 times better than autos. For what the wrecker is about to set you back you could pretty well pay for the hubs.

8. blazentank

What is the exact name for the part that broke is it the axle yoke or what

9. Stomp

Stomp 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the U-Joint?

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

your front u-joint let go on you. You may be able to just buy the front u-joint and pop it in on road side if the rear part of your yoke is still intact...otherwise you need a new rear driveshaft or a new yoke...most places dont stock these...hope them auto hubs decide to cooperate

11. blazentank

The drivesaft is fine and so is the u-joints. The yoke broke apart letting the drive shaft fall out

12. blazentank

We just towed it home Hubs never locked if any body has any New manuel hubs for sale tell me i might be interested. Also is changing out the hubs from auto to manuel is it a clean swap or is there some type of conversion kit or something thanks for everyones help.

13. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Straight forward swap out. Just get a warn kit from your local auto store.

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Had the same thing happen a few months ago, except I had a broken stub shaft on one side on the front axle (from a previous trip), I guess I could have driven it with just the one side on the front, but I didn't have a wrench to remove the driveshaft nor anything to tie it up with. Mine also broke the ear in half on the yoke. Adding to the problem was that my truck was completly empty (no junk in it), and I have to parking brake. I finally found a roll of duct tape to use as a wheel chock. I called my brother and asked him to bring me a 1/2" wrench, he brought me a wrench, a towstrap, and my pickup. I just left the broken yoke in there, however the shaft wasn't spinning. I did actually have to pull it up the driveway in 1 wheel drive after we got home.

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of Warn hubs (as far as strength), even though I just bought a set (only ones that fit my application), but I'd take them anyday over Superwinches.

Pete

15. tRustyK5

I really like my Spicer hubs...but I don't think they're available aftermarket. The only think I don't like is you sorta need three hands to re-assemble them. They are all steel though...

Rene

16. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

good you got it home. go trash those auto hubs!

the autozone on 249 has a pair of warn premiums on the shelf, but there's no tellin what they want for them.....

are you saying that the straps that bolt onto the yolk with a 7/16 bot is what let go? and that the ears of the d-shaft and the ujoint are OK? that's great news!

PS i drove mine home from downtown, with dexron spewing all over the back of the window one night. you can put it in low range for some crazy burnouts and second gear scratches.

greg ( dont try this at home...)