Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT help needed...tranny/t-case seal issue...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Jul 3, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Guys, sorry to make this be so urgent, but I have to get this done.

Here's where it all started: Whenever I would pull my rear driveshaft out of the t-case, tranny fluid would come out of the back of my NP241. However, the fill plug was lower than the height of the t-case output, so I figured the tranny was leaking fluid back into the transfercase.

So, currently, my transfercase is sitting on the floor of my garage because I was planning on replacing the seal. Problem is...I don't know which seal it is, or if there even is a seal problem. I now have two new seals in my possession, one for the rear of the transmission (which isn't even accessible/visible!) and one for the t-case input.

What I'm thinking now is that I don't even have a seal issue (but I'm not sure). Is it possible that just during driving, tranny fluid gets up into the output housing and will leak out when I pull my driveshaft?

PLEASE HELP!

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

pretty shure that it is supposed to do that, that is why the slip yoke eliminator is so popular, so that you can pull your rear drive shaft whith out leaking fluid all over the place, now if it leaks with the drivshaft in, there might be a problem ps how uch did the seals cost you? i have to replace mine, its leaking from between the tranny and x-fer case

3. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

What transmission do you have? My 700R4 doesn't have a rear seal, per se. The only seal I ever needed to replace was the one on the xfer case, where it mates to the transmission. It is a double seal, and some parts houses sell you 2 single seals to replace it.
    Did you check the fluid level before you pulled the case? If the fluid level was above the fill plug, then it is an issue with the seal between the case and the tranny. If not, it could just have been residual fluid in the tail of the case.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    now if it leaks with the drivshaft in, there might be a problem ps how uch did the seals cost you? i have to replace mine, its leaking from between the tranny and x-fer case

[/ QUOTE ]

Not leaking w/ the driveshaft in...if it were, that's an easy seal to replace.

The seal for the back of the 700R4 (which I don't think is right...I think that's for the 2wd models of my truck) was about $4. The seal for the input of the NP241 was $9.

If you're leaking between the transfer case and tranny, you need to replace the gasket between the two. I don't know how much that is. I don't think mine needs replacing. I called a parts store but they said that's a dealer only item. Anybody know if I can just scrape off the old gasket and blue RTV it?

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What transmission do you have? My 700R4 doesn't have a rear seal, per se. The only seal I ever needed to replace was the one on the xfer case, where it mates to the transmission. It is a double seal, and some parts houses sell you 2 single seals to replace it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, 700R4 w/ an NP241. I think I see what you mean by "double seal"...on the transfer case, it looks like the seal seals on the shaft (inside diameter) and seals on the housing (outside diameter). However, the seal I got from the parts store is like any normal seal I've ever bought (metal outside that pounds into housing and rubber inner that goes around shaft).

If I decide to replace this seal (which I may not), do I remove that housing holding the seal and pound it out through the backside? Looks like it would be hard to remove/install as it sits now. And, if I remove it, do I just put RTV sealer on that housing when I install it again?

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you check the fluid level before you pulled the case? If the fluid level was above the fill plug, then it is an issue with the seal between the case and the tranny. If not, it could just have been residual fluid in the tail of the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I pulled the drain plug before I pulled the fill plug, and I'm kicking myself for doing that now. I do know I got about 4.5 quarts of fluid out of the t-case...anyone know how much an NP241 is spec'd to hold?

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do know I got about 4.5 quarts of fluid out of the t-case...anyone know how much an NP241 is spec'd to hold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything I have found on fluid capacity of a 241 is between 4 and 6 pints, so, between 2 and 3 quarts. The 6 pint capacity listing that I found was for a Dodge NP241HD.
    Now, on every 241 and 208 that I have worked on, the input seal was like the one you said the parts place got you, metal, with a rubber inner seal. What I meant by double seal is that it has 2 lips (one on the inside, and one on the outside) that seal around the shaft, and was twice the thickness of a normal seal. The ones I have replaced were like any other seal. I just pulled it out of the case from the outside, and pounded the new one in place. I didn't have to pull the housing apart at all.
    If you do pull the case apart, I would recommend Anaerobic sealant, instead of RTV, although I have used RTV before without any issues.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Everything I have found on fluid capacity of a 241 is between 4 and 6 pints, so, between 2 and 3 quarts. The 6 pint capacity listing that I found was for a Dodge NP241HD.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif After draining the fluid out of my t-case, I dumped it in a gallon milk jug and it over-filled it!

[ QUOTE ]
    I just pulled it out of the case from the outside, and pounded the new one in place.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the seals I have replaced have been on hubs, axles, etc, where you can get a hammer claw in it and pry it out. Do I just grab onto this one with a needle nose and yank?

8. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I used a hammer, put a few dents in the metal part of the seal, and then yanked with a pair of pliers until it came loose.
    *carefully* wedging a screwdriver in between the seal and the case works, sometimes, but I refuse to admit to ever doing it, or even recommending it, as the cases are aluminum and gall easily. If you have to resort to that, just be really careful.