Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urgent help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Feb 20, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey guys, where is the fuel pump fuse located on a tbi truck? Wiring diagrams say it is between the distribution block and the fuel pump relay on the firewall, but i cant find it, where is it, thanks.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

isnt it on the passenger side firewall behind the plastic cover?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Behind what plastic cover? There is the relay itself on the pass side of the firewall and it is plastic. Or on the drivers side there is a rubber or soft plastic sleeve that holds wires up its about 6" long, its over the booster, is it in there?

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

black plastic covet thats shaped kinda like a T between the block and the heatercore. held on with 2 or 3 plastic nuts

5. bigyellowjimmy

I was thinking of the black plastic relay cover. I was also thinking of the fuel pump relay.....sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

your post intrigues me, I dont recall seeing this on my truck, got a pic? And are you sure you arent thinkin of the 2 relays that are above the heatercore in height, but between the block and the heatercore? Theres 2 relays hangin there, and the bracket that holds them is held on w/ 2 sheetmetal screws.

7. bigyellowjimmy

what are ya working on?

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well, I put a Edelbrock MPFI system on was supposed to change the fuse to a larger one for their pump, well stupid me forgot that, today took it for a test drive, shut it down, worked some more, tried to refire, nothing. Then noticed pumps werent workin. Checked pressure, nothing. Then I hooked 12v direct to the fuel pump relay via that little red pigtail on the wiring harness, and the pumps run. That pigtail bypasses the fuse so I know its the fuse, I jsut dont know where it is. BTW if you talking about vehicle its a 87 Chevy K/V20 came w/ a 350, now its got a 496.

9. bigyellowjimmy

very cool project. the reason you cant find the black plastic cover is because you are working on a V series, we assumed you were working on the new body style. sorry I have no idea where to find the fuse on the R/V series....surely somebody out there has one of these and can help??????

10. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ah, that would make sense, for some reason I thought i had put 87 in my orig post *hits head on table*

11. bigyellowjimmy

No worries.....anybody know where the fuel pump fuse is on a R/V series??????????????????

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you have something that bypasses the fuse, can't you wire in an inline fuse?

Or maybe you want to do it right hahahahah /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ive really thought about doing that, but I hate working on a bastardized wiring harness (previous owners suck btw). So id RATHER do it right, but I have not a clue where this danged fuse is.

14. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

fuel pump is powered by the 10 amp ecm b fuse in the fuse block under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif lower left side next to turn signals

15. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you are right I owe you an eternal debt of gratitude, im off to pull that fuse

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i love u man! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

17. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Just confirming what Frankie said, but when we put in our MPFI I don't recall changing any fuses, but we did have to change the fuel pump to the pump used in the late model Vortec engines. I would show you some pics of our set up, but at the present time it is so covered in mud, I am surprised it runs. It has performed flawlessly for almost 2 yrs and I am crazy about it.

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

See edelbrock, when you have dual tanks gives you ANOTHER pump, so you end up w/ 3 pumps /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So i guess with 3 pumps, you pull more than 10 amps lol. But if I had single tanks, then I would have gotten 1 new pump and it would have gone in the tank. Go figure.