Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT PLEASE¡ LOCK UP CONVERTER HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jaguargt, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Jaguargt

Jaguargt Registered Member

i have a 83 K5, Diesel, how could i know if the lock up it's working on my 700R4, what could happen if i travel 168Kms +/-, and the lock up isn't working?

2. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to tell if your lock up converter is working or not is to have trans in overdrive and running about 60 mph, lightly press on the brake pedal. This is supposed to release the converter form lock up mode. (fells like a slight downshift.) You should be able to feel the trans going into and out of lockup. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

as long as your tranny cooler is working well the trip shouldn't be a problem.When I bought mine, I drove 100+km home without the lockup working...... and then probably 200-3000 km before I got it working.

4. Jaguargt

Thanx, all of you, the only cooler i'm using it's my stock radiator, could be a problem?

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

That short of a trip shouldnt hurt it, but get it fixed ASAP. I burnt mine first 700r4 up because the lockup quit working. Just check the fluid and see if its dark or not.

6. Jaguargt

thanx, and yes, i checked the fluid yesterday, and it's a little darker than new one, it's this a symptom of no lock up?, or could be a bad Tv cable Adjustment?

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Basically, the lockup not working allows the converter to slip and in turn it builds heat. The bark fluid could be from overheating or slipping clutches. If its just a little darker, (still has red tint to it) I wouldnt worry. When mine first overheated from the lockup not working, after about a 2 hour drive I noticed it and checked the fluid and mine was black.