Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

URGENT Rebuilding 350 need help quick

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, Mar 11, 2006.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys I'm half way through a 77 350 rebuild and I'm stuck. Which order do the rings go on the piston. I got the oil rings figured out but when the old rings were taken off we didn't take note of the order. I have one ring with a bevel on the inside edge and one ring with no bevels. Which order should they be in??

Thanks for the Help.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I don't remember for sure. I think the beveled one is the oil scraper ring that goes at the top, but I would wait until someone gives you a positive answer.
    TTT for ya anyway.

3. nemesis_pyros

The beveled ring has the bevel on the inside and on the other side of the top mark.

Hope that helps a little more

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The new rings should have come with an instruction sheet.
    I think the beveled one is the lower ring but everybody does them different.

Do you have one ring with a single top mark and one with a double? If you do, the single top mark is the top ring.

Check the grooves on the piston, too. One may have a ridge corresponding to the bevel.

5. nemesis_pyros

OK we think we got it figured out. The instructions were not clear at all and some of the parts got mixed up. We got it togther and everything looks good. Thanks for your help.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, if the ring doesn't have any markings on it then you need to look for the bevel, but if it has a dimple that means that side faces the top of the piston. If there is a dimple on the ring and when facing upward the inside bevel is on the top that would be your top compression ring.