Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urgent! Sending this message from a mobile link, Truck overheating on I 15

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, May 15, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Stats:
    1990 suburban 350 w/ new 700r4 tranny
    Recently rodded stock radiator w/ 180 t-stat. 28000gvw tranny cooler. We are on the road right now heading to Mexico we are now just north of Vegas. The temp gage is climbing above 210 and the tranny temp guage is up near 185-190. This is to hot for us to continue on south to Cabo San Lucas. The tranny temp sender is mounted in the pan. Weve been told by Bow tie overdrives that the tranny should not get hotter than 165 or severe damage may occur. Do you agree? Everything is new on this rig but the engine which runs very strong. The engine temp is fluctuating widely right now, where my other suburban never gets hotter than 190 with a 180 thermostat. The heat exchanger or any other part was not replaced when the radiator was rodded. So we are considering stopping in Vegas and buying a new radiator (what else could it be?) The shroud is on correctly. The fan clutch is original but we dont know how to tell if its bad. Thanks.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure the belt is not slipping.
    Replace the thermostat again.
    Are you towing?
    AC on?
    Does it over heat stopped in park?
    Tough to tell what is contributing most to the condition.

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

In my opinion.

210 engine temp is hot, but NOT dangerus. From 220 and up is getting in the "get the wallet out zone". Extreamly flucuating engine temp MAY need some consideration. Meaning, if the engine temp goes wildly out of control it colud be several possible problems, but if it goes up and down slowly with increased engine load- take it easy on the throttle.

190 trans temp is also on the hotter side for a 700. A tranny temp gage in the pan is reading what is going into the pan after it has cooled the rest of the tranny, so it will be hotter than what is going into the trans. Is the trans gage reading the oil pan temp? (I asume so from what you have said.) So, from where your at now, (stuck with a hot tranns and engine) Pull the tranns dip stick and check the oil, is it red (good)? brown (getting bad)? or burnt?

Also;
    - you are in a hotter climate, hotter air going in = hotter engine and trans.
    - Turn the A/C off if you have problems with temp
    - Take it easy with the throttle, more load/speed = higher temps.
    - Simple check on a clutch controled cooling fan. check for oil slung around the clutch assembly (alum. houseing at the front of the fan)
    - Turning the heater on will also reduse engine temps and if the trans cooler lines run into the rad, it will also cool indirctly the trans.
    - Keeping the engine running at a idle in park with the heater on (not in defroster mode) can help reduse temps.
    - Some times a hotter t-stat can help. With a cool (180 deg) t-stat, it allows the coolant to cirulalet too fast and not give it enuff time in the rad. to cool down.

Good luck!

Twiztid

edited- excuse typos- tried to type as fast as I could, bad combo-

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 05/15/01 09:20 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

A/C off, not towing but very loaded down. Cools down while at idle. Timing "may" be to advanced because we are comming from high altitude, I notice some pinging. Could this be a factor? What direction do I turn the dist to retard? Is the adjustment bolt accesable? Thanks.

5. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Check fan belt, put in a flex flan w/o clutch(this should help a lot). Replace thermostat with the best you can get. If that doesn't work, then get a radiator. Just my 2 cents.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG] 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

6. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

TOP -

sorry no other ideas - good luck and I will pray for you..

rezazlB

Built for a purpose.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

O.K. not a biggie-

Run the engine at idle with heater on in hot mode - not in the defroster-. Ditch the load, Do the wife and kidds realy need to go on a vacation? Pinging is bad news (a pinging engine will run hot) reduce timeing and run some higher octane fuel.

8. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

The pinging is probably from the overheating condition. I think your new thermostat is defective or the clutch fan may be the problem. I don't remember how to check the clutch fan so I would just ask a local Vegas mechanic. Or, maybe someone will see this post who knows how to check the clutch fan. (The reason I say it could be the clutch fan is that a buddy had the same overheating symptoms once, and replacing the clutch fan cured it). Good Luck.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

The stock THERMOSTAT IS A 195 degree unit they run at 210 all the time.how long have you had this suburban?The temp is fluctuating as in up and down? up to 210 then back down? your system is working correctly if it is the thermostat is opening and closing and thats what they are supposed to do also a trans should run at 200 degrees at least he aspault during the day gets that hot on the 15fwy.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by coopertwpk on 05/15/01 10:50 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

10. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If you are coming thru phx call my cell and make a pit-stop at my house. Home-623-939-6001....Cell 602-616-3636. If the temp is fluctuating i would go with a sticking t-stat....if your tranny fluid still goes thru the radiator it will transfer the heat to the tranny oil...eng oil and tranny fluid will be close to your temp gauge. I have a infared gun at work...we could check the drop across your radiator to see whats going on...should be a 10-15 degree drop across the rad if it is working fine....the only thing left is the clutch fan....mine went out years back and i couldn't even make it home from work without overheating....

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Shum1

Now that i have a minute to think about this;
    -210 deg engine temp is o.k., 220 is hot, 230 is overheating.
    -190 deg trans temp when read off the pan sound a bit hot to me
    -Pinging and detination go hand and hand with over heating, backing the tieming off a few deg. is a good idea (counter clockwize). Lower elivations need less timeing than higher elivations
    -the 180 deg t-stat is too cold, get it outa there. (a 180 deg t-stat will be wide open in a wormer enviroment like las vagas, and it will not restrict the coolant flow threw the radiator enuff to give the fan and chance to suck the heat out of the fast moveing coolant.) swap it out for a 190.
    -check the fan clutch by looking for oil around the clutch, and if it spins freely by hand it is bad (engine off, like you didn't know that) Clutched fans can come in 3 versions. O.E. fans are thermo and rpm activated. A.M. fans can be eather thermal or rpm activated.

Good luck

Twiztid

12. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

The first thing I would check that would logically explain both the engine and transmission over heating is lack of air circulation. Check the fan cluth, mine went and was free spooling very easily and not delivering the proper CFMs. Also I found a block of wood lodged in my fran shroud that stop the fan from spinning, can't explain it but make sure it's clear. Good luck

You call that dirty!?

13. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I was overheating once, I had a trashbag or something in front of my radiator.

[​IMG]<font color=red>1988 Chevrolet K5 Blazer, Middletown, NJ (07737).</font color=red>

14. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I would check the clutch fan...mine went out not too long ago. Just grab the fan and turn it by hand - if it free wheels with hardly any friction, it is bad and needs to be replaced (a very easy 4 bolt affair). Also, as was mentioned before, check around the fan clutch for oil that has been "slung" around, this indicates that the insides are history and it is no longer working as it is supposed to. I would also go with the theory that the thermostat may be faulty, but as others have said, a 180 in that hot climate is too low, try a 195 or so...

Good luck, I hope you fix it and enjoy the vacation!

15. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

This might sound basic, but what does your Atifreeze mixture look like? Make sure it is at least 50/50. Utah is a lot cooler so you may not have noticed that it is wrong. Just another idea.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>