Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urgent Starter Woes!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Apr 17, 2006.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

I got out of school today came home left my truck in the drive. About 2 hours later i got in it to go to work. It wouldnt start. You can hear the starter motor going off (high pitched scream) but the centrifical force isnt spinning the gear to connect to the fly wheel. WTF is the problem i tried banging on it. Im waitin till my dad comes home so we can look at it. Could i have fried another starter? Cuz if i did i'll be on number 3 inthe past 3 months.:eek1: THe last time it saw mud was atleast 4-5 days ago so i dont *think* thats the problem

any thoughts?!?!?

2. broncoman6524

NVM Im missing teeth on my flywheel and it wasnt catching.

3. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Missing teeth will give you a metallic sound. If it sounds like the starter motor just is spinning, it could be a bad solenoid. Either way, I would remove the starter and inspect it. If the teeth on the ring gear and the starter drive are good, replace the starter. You could get a new solenoid and change it out but a complete starter will usually cost about the same as just the solenoid. Go figure.
    Edit: I just noticed your screen name. Is this on a Ford? If so, the starter does not have the solenoid mounted on it. In any case, remove it and inspect.

4. broncoman6524

Dont even ask about S/n i realy want an early bronco and thats my email. i originally started here w/ no k5 and questions on what to look at. I now own a k5 and this post is about it.

The noise it was making was a high pitched squeel that would get worse the longer you held it in the "turn over" position. All i did was hand turn the motor a couple of degrees and it started right up...:dunno: