Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Urgent Steering Gear Box Help Needed - Pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Duh..
    Ok so I have the garage warmed up and am putting the new PS pump on. I would like to adjust the gear box. Neither my husband or myself have ever messed with this before. I have an exploded view of it here:

www.polariswebdesign.com/trucks/steeringgear.gif

So far, I have #13 off :-) Do I have to remove the Side Cover (#14)? It says adjusting screw is what I have poking out the top but then, how do you adjust that? I don't want to hurt it!

Thanks much!

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Just back off the lock nut(13) and tighten the adjusting screw(17) while someone wiggles the steering wheel back and forth till you get the amount of play your comfortable with.tighten the lock nut(13) and thats it.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you don't have a manual with the procedure lined out I would not do it.

If you do want to do it you first have to adjust the bearings (#40 after loosing #42) You have to do this with a in*lb torque wrench on the steering wheel and the drag link disconnected. Then you adjust the gear lash (#17) if it needs to be done (it often does not).

If all you do is tighten down #17 you run the risk of the steering locking up while in a turn because the gears are too tight.

Most people will tell you it is "just fine" to tighten down #17.
    Doing it right is not always the easy way out.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, what Triaged said. The procedure for properly adjusting that screw is very intricate and is detailed quite well in the factory service manuals. The proper setting isn't something that you can tell by feel.

5. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

its hard to adjust because if its too tight it can bind and not be able to turn the wheel, if its too loose it will walk and wont return so be very careful with the procedure

6. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

7. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Jack the front end off the ground and put the axle on jack stands.
    Loosen the nut using a 5/8" wrench and then using a 3/16" allen wrench thighten the adjuster stud in a 1/4 turn at a time while turning the wheel from lock to lock.
    Keep tightening the adjuster stud until you can feel the steering get tight when the tires are about straight.
    After you feel it start to get a little tight then you need to back off a little at a time until you just barely loose that stiffness.
    MAke sure that the adjuster lock nut is tight each time you turn so that you have the correct preload.
    Now go drive it. if it's still feels slightly loose then tighen it up a little if it feel tight then loosen it up barely.
    One thing to remember is that when you get close a little bit of adjustment goes a long way.

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I sure appreciate your input. We ended up getting a different box for it after all. I need to do some test driving here today, but I suspected something was wrong with the old steering gear box for awhile now.