Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*URGENT* stuck truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Dec 19, 2003.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

yall know that joke about the difference between yankee and southern fairytales? the one where the southern fairy starts out as "yall aint gonna believe this sh!t"?

yall aint gonna believe this sh!t.

so we went wheelin today, me in my stock 97 yukon, 3 XJs and one TJ. we were having a good 'ole time, and decided that it was getting late and so its time to leave. well, on the way out, all 3 XJs got stuck, and the TJ barely made it out with a shitload of water in the engine. the jeeps got pulled out, but my truck, in its not stuckness(for once) also took in a lot of water. it was running very badly, missing a lot, so i parked it and turned it off to go help get the XJs out. when i came back, the truck would not crank. it turns over, but it turns over fine for a second, then for maybe half a second, it struggles to turn it over. its not hydrolocked, we pulled the plugs and turned it over. nothing came out. the plugs were filthy, had a TON of carbon on em, but it has been running rich (OBD II - banks one and two rich). anyway, the air filter was soaked, so we stripped it down to the throttle body (which is dirty as well /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif). its got spark and its getting fuel. our theory is the distributor is wet. the truck turns over fine with the plugs out, no hesitation. wtf is wrong with my truck? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!!

anyway, we left the truck cause its colder than a witch's you-know-what in north dakota and its dark out. so, a timely response would be much appreciated

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a starter. With the plugs out the motor has no resistance and will spin over easily, with the plugs in the starter is fighting compression.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

yup, sounds like starter. i have frozen a couple in my short time wheeling, but it happens, and it sucks. if you go back tommarow and it just clicks and draws power without turning over, then just thaw it out and you will bee good to go, assuming there is nothing else wrong with it.

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    our theory is the distributor is wet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spray some WD-40 in there as well.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. thezentree

its not the starter, the engine turns over. its like one of the cylinders has too much compression or something. sometimes it just cranks over normally without catching. anyway, its late, im tired, so you late-night CK5ers, HELP! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I would start with the WD-40 in the Dist. Cap. Then put some new plugs in it. and MAKE DAMN sure there is no water in the cylinders. Make sure the plug wire are good and aren't arcing ot the block or something dumb like that. I would also change the oil if there is any suspicion of there being water in the crankcase.

Chris

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

A WEAK or dying starter may not have the nutz to crank it over fast enough too...any try boosting the trucks battery with another truck to give it a little more juice...

Chris

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

And that is why I like rocks and not mud/water...

Anyway, in my old truck I had water in the dist and it caused the non starting problem but not the not cranking problem... And you did say you are getting spark...

You said it "sometimes" cranks but other times has a skip in the cranking. This leads me to suspect a bad starter as well. If it never cranked well with the plugs in but fine with them out I might think otherwise but it only takes 15 mintues to change a starter and you can take it back if it's not the problem so why not.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and with all the water the starter might be nice and frozen in the AM or all day too, just like joez pointed out.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And last but not least, if the engine sucks in some water, never kill it. Let it run until all the water is out.

11. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And last but not least, if the engine sucks in some water, never kill it. Let it run until all the water is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I wasn't aware of that. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. thezentree

it stalled before, and cranked right back up, so i figured it'd be okay. anyway, i cant afford to buy a new starter at the moment, so i guess were just gonna blast the hell outta the distributor with WD40. we did try using another truck to get some more juice to mine.

another thing - could there be too much water in the exhaust? were thinkin about unbolting the exhaust after the headers, to see if that helps.

13. thezentree

ok.

truck is alive and kinda well.

couldnt get the distributor off, needed a torx wrench, and i dont have one. so we got a 3/4 ton diesel ram 4x4 out there, and jumped my now dead battery. hooked the jumper cables on it, and just cranked on it for about a minute and a half straight, cause it sounded like it wanted to catch. well, it caught, and billowed water vapor out the exhaust for a good 10 minutes. anyway, its out of the trail, and safely home. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif it is throwing trouble codes, im gonna have em read tomorrow after it gets an oil change. anything else i should definately do?

so, i think its time to stop waterlogging my DDs engine. maybe a K5 is in order? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

only thing besides the oil, and other fluids(it it was submurged) like diff, tranny, and transfer case fluids, and berings.(if it was under water)
    is to pull the starter and take it to and auto parts store most will do a free test on it and your battery. it will tell you if there still in good and working condition /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and defanatly go get a k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifwell if you can lol

15. thezentree

luckily it stalled on dry ground, so the fluids should be fine. i guess i could pull the starter tomorrow and run up to advanced and have em check it out. it sounds fine, and it cranks over like it did before this little fiasco, so im not sure thats necessary. the question is, is my red top battery destroyed?

anyway, yea, theres a 80s K5 up the road with a 4" lift and 33s for $2500 OBO. i might go take a look at it tomorrow. anyone want a ford dana 60? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

oh, in my original post, i mentioned all three XJs got stuck? yea, they were all within 5 feet of each other. damn camera battery was dead too. trail ready my ass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thell test the battery for charge and load amps, if you have auto club have them come do it when its in they can tell you if you have any unnessasary draws. the only question is why havent you gone to check outand made him an offer????? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. thezentree

havent made an offer cause up until about 3:30 yesterday afternoon, i was dead set on doin an SFA swap with that D60. a K5 didnt really fit into my budget.

anyway, im gonna go look at it tomorrow. hopefully its been regeared as its lifted. hell, hopefully its fully functional. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif then again, there is my friend's CJ hes wantin to trade me for that axle. must...resist...the....dark....side! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your battery will be fine most likely as long as you didn't leave it discharged for a period of time. The Optima style batteries have no free acid so they sulfate pretty quick if left discharged. They've got a good warranty though so if that happened, take it back!

19. thezentree

it sat partially discharged overnight in sub-freezing temps. the good news is, my truck cranked right back up this morning, but its got a new knock /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well if my truck sucks in water and it shuts off im not recranking it up untill i have drained all the fuilds out of it and made sure all the water is out. I have seen a few engines FUBAR b/c of running with water/mud in the engine it goes from a 350 to a damn 95 f250 powerstroke clank clank clank Clunk clank. Man those are loud and really damn annoying.