Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(URGENT) trailer help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Jan 5, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I bought a K5 down in Az But cant get anyone to rent me a trailer. Has anyone ever put a K5 on U-Halls car trailer???
    They say that a K5 is to wide and to heavy that is why they wont rent it to me but I was thinking if It would fit I would just tell them I'm towing a 90 Honda Accord or something.
    What do you all think????
    Thanks,
    Bo
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Never done it, but I do suggest a long flatbed, preferably with no sides!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd suspect they are right on the too wide statement, I tried to put my K5 on a full size car trailer, and the front wheels wouldn't clear the wheelwell humps. The rear might have (since its narrower) or, you might be able to do what I did, take the front wheels off with a floor jack under the diff, and roll the truck past the trailer wheelwells.

Heavy I don't think they can say, one of the 70's cadillacs probably weighs close to a stripped down K5 at 5000lbs.

4. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Most trailers and car dollys are 80" (I think.) I towed mine on a car dolly using stock wheel and tires to get the width down. As long as you're towing with a 3/4 ton or bigger truck, the weight isn't an issue. Just measure the trailer and tell them you're towing a Honda /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

an ex-friend of mine had me haul his 59 chevy that was on a blazer chassis. The problem I had wasn't tires it was hubs sticking out. NOt sure about the u-haul trailers but I seem to recall some rentals that the sides folded down on wheel wells and all. I'm not suggesting anything but if that's the case the sides could be ratchet strapped to something to keep em from floppoing around.

6. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

NOt sure how much this helps but I recently bought my blazer and drove to northern cali to pick it up then I trailer'd it home on my race truck trailer. Loading the blazer up on the trailer was kinda sketchy cause I drove up over the tubular wheel wells but it did ok. ANd since my trailer is meant for a WAY lighter Toyota I have no brakes on the trailer and that was interesting to say the least a few times bringing home the Blazer. BUt I would go and measure the Uhaul trailer if it is 80+ inches wide I would say go for it, just take you time getting it home.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

too bad you are in Englewood. I am about 100 miles East of you. I have a set of narrow, deep offset wheels that you can put on the front and it would work fine. If you want to cruise out here and use them you are more than welcome to. Just email me and we can hook up. The wheels are 16.5x 6 inches with tall tires on them so the hubs will usually clear.

John

8. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I went and looked at a trailer at a rental place
    I dont know if I can take out of state but will find out on Monday. How wide is a Blazer w/33-12.5-15 tires the trailer was
    80 inches wide could some one measure there ft end for me???
    thanks,
    Bo

9. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You may try local trailer building companys. here in junction there are like three places that build and rent trailers pretty cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Can someone please measure How wide is a Blazer w/33-12.5-15 tires from outside to outside.
    thanks,
    Bo

11. chevyracing

Mine is 87", but it may be different than yours, dpends on what the wheel offset is.

John

12. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Hey Thank you John.
    This reely helps I thought this was going to be the easy part
    of the deal getting the K5 home but turned out to be a pain in the rear. Also thanks on the offer on the wheels may take you up on it I will keep you informed.

Bo

13. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

just cause it fits dont mean its going to be safe i do alot of work on trailers and see alot of stupid stuff prob with u haul trailers are most of them run only 2800 pound axles so thats 5600 pounds total including the weight of the trailer even if it had 3500 pound axles there still kinda stony trailers most arent maintained that well it would suck to get out in bfe and lose a wheel bearing id say get the 80 inch car dolly and yank your rear drive shaft and put on some wennie tires and roll the dumbest thing i ever did was pull a chevy stepvan with a car dolly 200 miles made it no problem but it was spooky as hell had 1 inch clerance on each side glad there wasnt alot of turns anyway good luck my freind /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i know for a fact that the K5 will fit on the double axle car trailer you can get from U-haul. BUT, if it has 12.5 inch wide tires and 3 inches of Back space on the rims then the front will be about 2 inches to wide for the trailer and it will drive up on one of the rails. i wish i had pictures of it.

all we did was tell them we were towing another car. and i tell you what, my Blazer was pushing the 3/4 dodge std cab long bed diesel ALL OVER THE ROAD. ALL OVER, not just the lane, but EVERY WHERE! so needless to say from san diego to camp pendleton (60 miles) we drove 45 miles an hour.

now, do i say dont do it? no, i would do it again. but i would get a crew cab dually first.

and some smaller tires, like say smallert than stock, whatever that was.

Grant /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. chevyracing

Bo, no sweat. Just PM me if you need the wheels. I can probably meet you in Limon. That would save you 50 miles on the round trip......

John

16. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

My Blazer with 15x10 rims (3.5" B.S.) and 12.50 tires is around 85" wide on the front and will not fit on a car hauler that is about 83" between the fenders (obviously). This 83" is about the absolute widest you will find between the fenders unless you go to a deckover as the trailers overall width was 8.5'. However, I pulled a '77 1-ton home on it and there was plenty of clearance since the truck had some stock narrwow 16" rims and 235/85 tires.

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i towed a truck back from florida with a trailer that was 80 inches wide and the truck had 33/12.5s on stock rims. it just made it in the trailer. one wheel was on the rail till we got it straighened out and then it just fell right in. It jsut cleared the lockouts. maybe 1/16 of inch clearance total. just my .02