Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

* URGENT * WHY ME? PS pulley question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 5, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I recently changed a motor for a friend, and we were forced to remove the PS pulley in order to remove the one piece alum. type braacket on the drivers side of the engine. I used a puller to remove the pulley... BUT we used a BFH to put it back on...

During the test drive tonight, the PS pulley nearly CAME OFF the damn pump, of course it shredded the new $20 belt in the process... I don't get why it came off though... it was very difficult to put it back on, and it was spinning true once it was on all the way.

Anybody have an idea for me? I dont know where to start to fix this, short of hitting the local yard and pulling a pump with the pulley still installed... hell I don't know.

What to do?

-Dan

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

What are you asking?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Green locktite. It is made to help loose press fits. Make sure both parts are clean (brake cleaner) before you use it.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If you hammered it on toss it and get another.
    Look on the end of he shaft, there should be a tapped 5/16" hole. new pumps come with a long theaded bolt and nut to install the pully.

5. KRAZIE87K5

I was asking what the proper way is to reinstall this pulley on the pump. I used a BFH, and it STILL took a lot of effort. Then I hear there are threads in the pump's shaft from Powermad, but the stock pump has no threads in this application, and I don't have another $70 to throw at this thing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So I am still not to sure what to do. I am going to hit up my local Napa for instructions, as I need to have this truck running TODAY. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Dan

6. KRAZIE87K5

I'm getting a fresh pulley, and going the green locktite route seeing as I don't have enough cash to go any other way. AutoZone sells the pulley for $17, and locktite shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, so I hope to get away from this for under $20...

-Dan

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Hope it works out for you. When I got a new PS pump, I bought a new pulley, the PS pump was threaded like Powermad was talking about, it came with a bolt, nut, and washer to install the pulley on the pump.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You most likely ruined the pump by beating the pulley into place. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The same tool kit that has the pulley remover should also include a pulley installation tool. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif It works just like a harmonic balancer installation tool. There are threads inside the hole on the front of the pump shaft, they aren't obvious because they start part way down inside the hole. Place the pulley over the shaft, then thread the installer into the shaft, then run the installation nut down the tool and it will press the pulley onto the shaft. My set has a bearing that goes between the pulley and the nut that drives the pulley into place. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

Well... the new pulley is on, and the green locktite is on it too. I DID find the threads, way inside that darn shaft... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and found a bolt that did the job pulling the new pulley right on.

The pump is working just fine, doesnt whine, and doesn't show any signs of having problems...

I guess I'll take what I got, and run with it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

one word for you- so far--

LUCKY !

youll know something within a hundred to two miles if you did any damage

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif