Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Us against Them

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by 77blazin, Jun 21, 2002.

1. 77blazin

77blazin 1 of a kine K5

Hello Everyone..
    I've notice that us 4X4 families are being assaulted by environmentalist, land protectors and such, JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE BIG WHEELS AND THEY LOOK SCARY and we are raised above their eyebrows, where they can't see what finger gestures we're giving them.
    Hey! it's not our fault that we like to cruise in areas that a towncar can't go through.
    I have a Honda Prelude and I can't even get to my best fishing spot without my blazer.
    You try and run a limo in the soft sand, you won't get far.
    Get a 4x4 and runs on the same lot and thats what they are made for.
    We have trails here in Hawaii and yet, we are being yelled at for destroying endangered plants and disturbing the peace, How can you be doing both if you're on a rocky mountain.
    These 4X4s are used for one thing and thats for getting to places a 2 wheeler can't get through.
    What is the harm to that??
    This is just my opinion and basically we lost a place where us Hawaiians can actually have fun with our 4X4s.
    Michael /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE BIG WHEELS AND THEY LOOK SCARY

[/ QUOTE ] It's true that alot of people see our rigs as loud, obnoxious, poluting, dangerous, gas hogs. But that is far from the whole problem.

Probably all wheelers that are involved in a club or association treats the outdoors with the upmost respect. But they only make up 10% of all 4 wheel drive enthusiests. An unknown chunk of the remaining 90% is tearing up our public lands, private property, lakes, streams, and other precious resources.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    These 4X4s are used for one thing and thats for getting to places a 2 wheeler can't get through.

[/ QUOTE ]They are also used to go where NO vehicle was ever supose to.

They don't use a tree strap when winching, killing the tree every time. They don't stay on the trails, tearing up private and public lands where there once was vegitation or spawning grounds. Hurting the water sheds, and thrown litter anywhere as they go along.

The damage that is done by irrisponsible people are easily seen an obvious. If you care about your favorite form of motorized recreation, you would follow the ethics as stated by Tread Lightly and encourage other people wheeling with you also. You should also whatch what the enviormentalists are up to by watching the "land use" forums on many UBB web sites, and respond to politicians, petitions, and news papers when that type of action is asked for.

You should also go participate in cleanups to show the public that 4 wheelers do care about the enviormant.

Yes, we wheelers, and other motorized recreationists have a very bad public reputation. But there is very good reason behind it. It is up too all of us to get involved and help repair how the public views us before they take all the trails away.

3. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

I see the begining of the end as far as orv areas are concerned because of this issue. It'll eventually come down to clubs and associations having to buy large tracts of property to open private parks....areas like tellico and moab might hold out becuase of concessions witht he eco nazi's...but over time were gonna get screwed. There are just way too many lobbies that have influence. hikers, climbers, kayakers and canoeers, environmentalists, scout groups and even some s.o.b.'s at the forest service want to get rid of our trails because its in thier interest to have prestine conditions everywhere. Perhaps we ought to encourage our industries and the auto industries to put their money and influence where they are most needed. Cause if chevy, ford, and dodge all lobbied for more wheelin rights then it would happen. cause as we all know cash talks and eco lovin b.s.in hippies walk.

4. Djroffroad

One huge problem is our enemies financial support. I see them getting money and signatures at almost every large event, I see them going door to door, and I see them talking to our industries. They are organized.

We need to take the same aggressive path if we're going to fight them. The best way I see at the moment is to buy memberships at Blue Ribbon, Tread Lightly, USFWDA, ARCA, ect. These associations all use their money to help keep trails open for us all.

5. mercercadet

I agree totally. But I also think that if we hit our industries with a demand for support we might be able to make some serious steps. Granted those organizations are a good way to make 4 wheelers more responsible and more active as a whole. I think that the market dictates the solutions though. Jeeps coming out with the wrangler rubicon, the jeep safari's, toyota offering a V8 powered fullsize(well kinda fullsize...), and countless other attempts by the market show that four wheel drive is an ever popular concept. Even SEMA is dedicating a large ammount of space to our vehicles. I think that all together if we join our associations and get the automakers involved then we'll move in the right direction. I just hate the idea of having to pay for the right to off-road at some private park because some latte drinking hippy believes that I'll destroy half the south when i go wheelin.

6. Djroffroad

demanding support from our industries is a great way. Thats what the eco-nazis do. We need to fight as hard as them.

Places like UFWDA does more than just educate wheelers. They also use our money to fight legislation and have attorneys working for them.

Don't just go joining associations. Take the time to find out what they use your money for. I personally would support the ones that have people fighting in Washington for us.

7. mercercadet

I totally agree that we need our organizations to lobby as well. I also think that as people begin to use computers more and get together on sites like ck5 then we'll make even more progress as people become more aware and start finding out that there's more too the sport than a six pack and a heavy right foot. Eventually we'll get enough people concerned about it...it may take a while but it will happen. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif