Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

US Navy Deserter found guilty.....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by readymix, May 11, 2005.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not sure if any of you remember this froma while ago. I know i posted it here. Today i found an update. Should interest the Military folks here.

SAN DIEGO - A sailor turned anti-war activist was convicted Wednesday in a special court-martial of refusing to board the USS Bonhomme Richard as it deployed to the Persian Gulf in December.

A military judge found Petty Officer 3rd Class Pablo Paredes guilty of missing his ship's movement, but dismissed a second count of unauthorized absence, ruling it duplicative.

The proceeding then moved into the sentencing phase. The 23-year-old New Yorker could receive a year in jail, a forfeiture of pay, reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge.

Paredes had waived his right to have his trial heard by a military jury.

Paredes, a weapons control technician, refused to board the ship on Dec. 6 as it left for a six-month deployment in the Pacific and Indian oceans. The Bonhomme Richard and two other ships were transporting about 3,000 Marines to Iraq.

At the time, Paredes told reporters he did not want to be part of a war he views as illegal and immoral. He said his military training has taught him to avoid what he views as a war crime.

Navy prosecutors, however, blocked Paredes' plans to put the war on trial during the court-martial. A Navy officer reviewing Paredes' request for conscientious objector status has also recommended that it be denied.

Defense attorney Jeremy Warren said Paredes passed up deals that would have minimized his punishment in exchange for a guilty plea.

"He's not backing down from what he did or why he did it," Warren said.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I say hang him. He signed up for millitary service, he breached his contract.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

in public, better yet, on national television.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

That's pretty light, not what they say when we sign up...

I'm disappointed.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Exactly.