Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

USA 6x6 Recentered Hummer wheels - I got mine!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I got my wheels yesterday! They look good, the recenter looks to be strong, although I don't know why the tube wasn't welded on both sides. I'm sure that Daniel wouldn't risk his customer's life and limb though, so I'm sure that they are plenty strong. The paint looks good but the hardware is a bit rusty so I'll have to do something about that, otherwise it will look like $h!t after one run. The PVC beadlocks are not as fancy looking as the stock ones, but they should get the job done, and the lack of the runflat is definately nice. Some spare valve stems were included too, which was pretty cool! And get this - Daniel made a mistake on my order and sent me 5 rims instead of 4, so I called him to let him know and he essentially said "Well damn, Merry Christmas and sorry that they shipped so late!" Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Now I have a rim for a spare.

So, the good stuff - they have arrived and they look AWESOME. Well built and the BS measures right where I wanted it. Came fully assembled so missing parts are highly unlikely.

The bad stuff - the boxes were abit flimsy for such a heavy part, they were pretty well destroyed when they got here. I'm surprised the spare valve stems were still in the one box. This might be the reason that one rim had a dent in the bead. Small dent though, and he did send me a spare rim, so no complaints! Welds look strong, but they aren't really pretty. There is some spatter around them, but I've seen worse. You can't even really see it unless you get up close.

All in all, I am very satisfied. You can't beat these for the price. If I had paid alot for them then I would have expected real pretty welds and paint, but for what Daniel is selling these for you can't go wrong.

One more thing - I spoke to Daniel yesterday, he has assured me that all of the bugs in the wheel building process have been worked out, and he is comfortable saying that in the future he will have no problem getting wheels to your door within 2 weeks from the order date. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Lots more pics of the wheels at http://www.industrialoffroad.com/phpBB2/viewalbum.php?n=316#316

Wheels -

[​IMG]

Wheel

[​IMG]

Beadlock -

[​IMG]

</font color>

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

cool beans dude /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i know you were getting nervous, glad it worked out; especially since it was buy 4 get one free /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

everyone else that throwed in will be jealous /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wish I had some /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Look good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've seen some of his stuff in person and it all looked good.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Haven't seen those PVC beadlocks before, they look stout though hummm. Be interested to know if those will make mounting the tire easier or not. Also how strong they are when running them offroad and onroad. How soon before you mount your 42's Shaggy?

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

HOW MUCH BROTHER....LOOKS COOL.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Mounting the tire should be the same as with the 2 peice mag ones, gotta take thebeadlock apart, put it in the tire and bolt it back together. SHouldn't be too hard. I should be getting the 42s sometime in Jan or early Feb.

Daniel sells these wheels for $165 each, that's with the recenter to any BS, sandblasted, painted and delivered to your door. The group purchase that I set up was for 4 sets at $150 for each wheel. So I paid $600 for the set, when you figure in the free one that I got that comes out to $120, shipping included. You can't beat that with a bat! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Somehow I doubt that Daniel made any money on this deal. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif</font color>

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Very nice toys......

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

OOOhhhh :drool: /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Can't wait to place my order next month. So what back spacing did you go with, I know I asked you at your house but I forgot.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I got 4.25", and it *appears" that they are going to be perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Can you tell us more about those PVC beadlocks? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Are those PVC runflats screwed or bolted? They look rivited ,but I know that couldn't be the case! THanks

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> From what I understand, Daniel essentially has a big PVC pipe made in the proper diameter, then cuts them about 3/8" narrower than the stock beadlocks, since Swampers have really thick beads that makes them work a bit better. They are cut in half so they can go into the tire, then they are screwed back together using 2 steel plates with 12 screws in each one. The edges have a 15 degree chamfer to seat against the tire. They are supposed to work really well, seem to be lighter than the stock beadlocks and don't have the runflat that isn't recommended to be used with aired down tires. </font color>

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

THanks, I'm going to stick with trimming down my originals, I don't trust those screws! Personal opinion!

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Daniel said that if anything happens to them he'll back them up 100%, so I'm not terribly worried about it. It's not like the tire won't stay on the rim if the beadlock comes apart. </font color>

16. USA6X6.com

USA6X6.com Registered Member

This information is VERY good to know...
    THe boxes arent heavy enough....ok...
    THe welds in the past have been sloppy (splatter ect) and the Welder has been so informed... the set I had painted yesterday and from now on will have NO runs or light spots...
    THe rust on the bolts ??? I guess we will paint the nuts too but I didnt want to get too much paint on the threads and the nuts are brand new... I did not know they would rust that fast...hmmm

17. USA6X6.com

Also on the price ...it is $185 now...
    Shipping was killing me to the guys in Maine, PA, WA, ect

If you live within a few states of me and mention the K5 board I can give you the $165 shipping included...

THanks for the input I appreciate it...

18. USA6X6.com

"THanks, I'm going to stick with trimming down my originals, I don't trust those screws! Personal opinion!"

I did not design these ...an engineer did He just allowed me to copy them... If you think the screws are not enough you can always add more... He told me the 12 screws is more holding surface and total capacity than the bolts that hold the mags so I am comfortable with that.

THe Poly beadlocks are custom made for me, PVC only comes in 15 and 18 inch which is not the right size... and then we machine out the center, both sides, cut them, make the adapter plates drill them and screw them together.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Daniel, rather than painting the nuts and studs I would suggest maybe just putting a light coat of machine oil on them. I don't think that I'd want paint on them, but a little oil should prevent the rust pretty well, I would think.

Question - all of the wheels that I got have the weights still on the backside. Are these wheels balanced without tires on them, or were the weights just never removed? I have to know whether or not to take the weights off. Thanks!

The beadlocks look plenty strong, unless the PVC cracks then I see no reason why they would fail. Flexible polyurethane that could go into the tire in one piece would be VERY cool, but the pricing on something like that might be prohibitive... </font color>

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm... Maybe mine will come today...