Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

USB question??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Mar 10, 2005.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

So i got a Ipod for free whe i moved into my new Appt. But i guss my computer isent cool enought to run it, it requires a USB2.0 or higher or a firewire 6 port, I have a usb but i guess it isent 2.0,
    So my question is can i update my existing USB, and if i cant, Wich card wouldbe bettter to get a firewire or USB?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I like USB2 becasue Firewire was supposed ot be a big mac thing back in the day

I got a cheapass $12 USB2 card on newegg, works fine

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

will i be able to unhook my usp ports on the front of the comp. ans hook them up to the new USB card?

4. Resurrection_Joe

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id go with the fire wire card they are under $20 and they are faster and most camcorders (newer ones) hook up to your pc with fire wire:D

6. Resurrection_Joe

You can get a combo card too

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

already bought the usb in joes link,

thanks though:D

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

:confused: :confused: USB 2.0 is 480mbs, firewire is 400 mbs. :confused:

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Those numbers represent theoretical BUS speeds using current technology. The BUS speed only represents what the data bus is capable of delivering ....... I sincerely doubt that there is ANY USB device out there that is capable of delivering that much throughput by itself.

The design specification for USB2 is 480Mbps (60 Megabytes per second) and the current theoretical standard for Firewire (as defined by IEEE Standard 1394) is 1600Mbps (200 Megabytes per second). Even if we consider 400Mbps (50 Megabytes per second) we are still way beyond what any idividual device is capable of delivering by itself.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that the device is capable of delivering data as fast as the bus can move it:

USB uses a Master-Slave architecture that has all of the communication flow control managed by the host (your 'puter). This flow control managment process takes up some of your available bandwidth and also places a load on your processor. If you want to see an example then go ahead and plug in a USB device that has a bunch of data on it (like an ipod or a flash disk). Open Task Manager and go to the Performance tab and watch what happens to your processor utilization when you move files to-from your device.

Firewire, on the other hand, is a peer-peer architecture that negotiates communication flow control at start-up (when the device is connected). This is VERY similar to the connection negotiation that occurs when you use a modem to connect to your ISP. The end result is less system overhead during data transfers and the highest possible communication rate between devices. If you have a firewire port available try the same data transfer test as you did with the USB device ....... hardly any CPU load at all, right? That's why Firewire is considered as the best connection for digital video cameras, extenal hard drives and external CD/DVD burners that require higher data throughput.

The bottom line: surpip's new USB2 card will work great with the ipod :woot: ... but I am surprised that it didn't work with the older USB ports unless they were USB1 (1.5 Mbps or 0.19 Megabytes per second using an uncompatable protocol) instead of the more common USB1.1.

/techno-jargon off
    :D

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Damn dude your pretty smartThe paper work with the I-pod says it will only work with 2.0, i plugged it in just for poops and grins to see what would happen and it would not talk to my computer, I belive it need the higher power (voltage) port to work properly, though i dont know why

11. Resurrection_Joe

My scanner needs to be on its own port, if I daisy chain it, it won't get enough power.

Heheheheh dasiy chain

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

That's some good stuff there Goober. I was going to use a open firewire port I have for a external HD cause I only have USB 1.1 on this computer. Now it turns out that firewire is a better option too. Thanks :D