Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Use caution with new group

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by Djroffroad, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I have been forwarded this and is originally from Carla Boucher, United Four Wheel Drive Attorney. I've heard "rumblings" about this but this is the first of anything in
    depth........... Along with Carla's concerns I'm in my "angry" mode again re "WHY ONLY MOTORIZED"?????

Please pass this information on to your club members and/or your email list. Obviously this is "happening" and we ALL need to get involved and pay attention. THEY WIN, IF WE IGNORE.

Personally I don't have a problem with a "motorized user 'sticker' program"
    but I want the funds to support our sport and issues............. not some
    "company president's pocket"! Please pay attention to the facts should any of you be selected. I'll forward any additional nformation as I get it.

Subject: Use caution with new group

A company or program called Superior Trails is developing a permit scheme for all federal lands. The company is hoping to get federal
    authorization to institute a mandatory permit costing $35.00 as a requirement for all OHV travel on federally-managed lands. The permit
    would be required before any person may travel on federal land using four wheel drives, ATVs, or motorcycles. In order to obtain a permit a
    user would be required to take a test and pass it pertaining to appropriate mechanical requirements and user ethics. Test taking stations would be available at merchants such as auto dealers, parts places, and 4x4 shops.

In addition to the permit, the company would institute its own law enforcement regulations. Fines for violations of the regulations are
    ranging from $900 to $1000 per violation.

I have been discussing the program with one of the partners of the company and trying to explain to them the problems associated with this system. He has recently informed me that he intends to poll four wheel drive clubs to see whether they support the development of such a
    system.

One of the initial problems I have with this concept (and I have many problems with it right now) is that their website is currently set up to
    allow a user to take the test and if they pass, collect their $35.00 for a permit. The website can be viewed at www.superiortrail.com . However, until the program is approved legislatively through Congress the money you spend on a permit gets you nothing. Also, the website has Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) but it fails to plainly state that this program would REQUIRE every motorized user to have one of their permits to recreate on federal lands and it fails to indicate that a permit paid for now means nothing and the money the user spends to get the permit ($35.00) gets them nothing, it simply lines the pocket of the company developing the program. In short, I have strongly indicated to these people my problems with their idea.

My concern is that your member clubs will only get a part of the story when they are polled for their reaction. Please advise them to proceed cautiously with this company and their program and to ask a lot of questions if they are polled before taking a position on whether to support this program.

Thanks for taking the time to pass this information on to all your members.

If you or your clubs have any questions about this program please don't hesitate to contact me.

Carla

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the site is a joke i took the first test and after the first 5 questions no matter what you put it is wrong lol

3. Djroffroad

10% of the fines (most are $900-$1000) go to Superior Trail. Read through their regulations, fines, tests, licensing, and fees. The more I read the more I hate this.

Oh, and look at this statement;

Because Superior Trail is an independent company and reserves the right to revoke or suspend any license at any time for any reason, there is no court system. All appeals are processed through Superior Trail and all findings are final.

Did anyone hear of any of this coming? They don't give a date, but say they are in the heart of launching the program.

I think this is something that we need to fight against. We do not want a private company issuing licenses, giving exams, and handing out fines.

4. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

what a crok! how can we stop this?

5. Djroffroad

Best you can do right now I think, is be aware of what they are trying to do. I have sent Superiior Trails an email requesting some more information. I have looked on the USDA site and tohers and cannot find any aditional info.

They are looking for Federal Authorization, so writing your congressman might be one way to fight.

I'll keep posting additional info as I get it.....

6. Djroffroad

I started contacting people that Superior Trail claims to be seeking endorsments from.

I contacted UFWDA by email. The person who responded knew nothing about them, but is looking into it.

I called Oregon Forestry Board of Directors Chairman and left a message. Waiting to hear back on that one.

Then I called the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council and talked to a lady that sais she has had a couple of calls from them. She assures me that NOHVCC does NOT endorse the program, and told them they thought it was a bad idea. She also talked to the U.S. Forest service on this matter and they do NOT endorse this program either.

Sorry for the little panic everyone, this seems to just be someones fanticy.

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Hoo hoo hoo ha ha oh oh .... oh ... aaahhhh whew ... I haven't laughed that hard in a long time!

According to the schedule of fines, an average day in the woods with a few buddies could potentially cost almost $3000. in fines!

Check out this list of infractions with the fines listed:
    <ul type="square">
    ST4101 Hunting, trapping, catching, molesting, killing or having in possession any kind of wild animal, bird, or fish, or taking eggs of any such bird. ($750)

ST4102 Fishing ($150)

ST4103 Possessing a firearm or other implement designed to discharge a missile capable of destroying animal life. ($750)

ST4104 Possessing equipment, which could be used for hunting, fishing, or trapping. ($150)

ST4105 Possessing a dog not on a leash or otherwise confined. ($150)

ST4106 Curtail the free movement of any animal or plant life into or out of a cave, except as authorized to protect a cave resource. ($900)
    [/list]

These folks are obviously morons.

Check out the site , then let them know what you think:

superiortrail.com
    109 Wild Grove Drv.
    Gun Barrel City, TX 75147
    US

Phone: 903-887-2934
    Fax: 903-887-2934

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

ST4103 Possessing a firearm or other implement designed to discharge a missile capable of destroying animal life. ($750)
    A missile??!!

9. Djroffroad

Ya, since when can't you have firearms in our national forests. And my dog must be on a leash?

This will go nowhere!!!
    Just use it as an example of what could happen if you don't pay attention to the Land Use Forums....

10. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

they must have watched south park.
    that bunny is charging us get the missile launcher !!
    bears=claymore
    fishing=grenades

11. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I got that warning too. The worst part is the basic idea is good. Have someone regulate (license) people on Federal Land and financially maintain it with fees and violations. But the way they're going about it is going to wreck any chance of this ever happening the right way.

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So say I went fishing earlier in the day and had my poles in the back....$150 fine
    A Blazer in itself is a hunting object (trees, mudholes, large rocks) so thats another $150
    Who profits from this stuff again????

13. Djroffroad

Well, 45% would go to land owners or goverment, 45% to enforcement, and 10% straight to Superior trails. Making 55% total going to Superior trails and 10% is straight profit.

These guys are a joke and should not be taken seriously. I have been on the phone with the people they are seeking support from, and I have been assured that they DO NOT support Superior Trails.