Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

use of a newer 5.3..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Oct 25, 2006.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I know wher I can get a low low mile 5.3 engine with 4l65 trans from a nw tahoe. i want to kick around the idea of swapping this into the buggy.

current buggy drivetrain is a bored out fuel linjected 454, built t-350 and ord doubler and one tons

this swap would be an new aluminum motor, 300 ponies, alot less weight, better in some way fuel system and its 27 spline. isues such as bolting it up, vss and having a custom harness as well as a computer flashed all concernes. I can see easlly spending a couple grand on top of the engine cost.. also this would be the most technical feat I would ever attemp and drag out the buggy build while I fry my brain to do it

the big block and auto would go into the 86, or I would save the big block to put into a muscle car I want to built some time.

so would you even consider this if it was your option?

cost vs gains..

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I was actually thinking about doing this to my 87 when I get home. Worried about the crossmember working or not. Kicking around the option of a 454 tbi setup as well. I can get a harness out of a local truck salvage yard pretty cheap, so I wan't overly concerned with the wireing.

3. 84blazend

84blazend Registered Member

I bought a 5.3 on ebay over a year ago, and it is just sitting in my shop. The fuel injection would be nice, but to keep it simple, I am thinking about going to a carburetor on it for now. Obviously the fuel economy would be ****, but a couple of the car magazines have built carbed 5.3s and they made well over 300 horse with longtubes. Just a thought.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i say go for it, the tranny bolting to the transfer case should be no problem, 27 spline inputs for the 203 are a dime a dozen and the later 4L60E has the same adapter pattern as the 400 so you should be able to use the adapeter you already have, Wiring is not that bad just make sure that you have plenty of diagrams.

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

id do it. ya it might cost alot but the your gonna save soo much weight going to an aluminum small block and still have lots of hp and torque.
    have you considered getting a computer for a manuel tranny and using your t350?
    ive heard some people program the computer to think there is a manuel transmissions so it wont try to read it

6. 84blazend

84blazend Registered Member

Actually, just the heads are aluminum on the 5.3

7. 1979jimmy350

thats not true there are aluminum block 5.3's also, they have a little bit of a higher power rating than the iron version, the majority are the iron block but there are aluminum ones

8. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

aluminum??

According to what I have read all of the truck blocks are iron with aluminum heads. If it were me I would opt for a 6.0 LQ9 out of the 3/4 ton and tahoe/yukon. There is one available locally for $2500 with harness and 4L80 trans- plug and play.
    Another option would be the LS1 series all aluminum. There are plenty of wrecked F-bodies and corvettes out there. Just have to get it before the racers do.
    I own a 02 GMC with the 5.3 and an 02 Firebird with the LS1- I would put them into anything I could!!!

9. 1979jimmy350

the ssr is a truck and has non iron block 5.3

10. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

well if you want to call that a truck....
    Didn't think of that

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

well im going to look into it,

he claimed its all aluminum though:what: :dunno:

hell thats what got me real interested in the first place, for now it would be much quicker and much much easier to leave my drivetrain in,

the 6.0 would be a sweet swap too,or go wreck my 99 and have a wortech 454 and 4l80e:shame: