Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

use of old parts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Mar 17, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to figure out what to do with some of my old parts. I have my stock rear 10 bolt from my K5. It has 3.08s/gov lock and brand new drum brake parts, but the pinion bearing is bad. Any idea what I could possibly do with the rear as a whole or as parts? I also have 5 stock K5 wheels just taking up space. I also have even more useless stuff like used 3/4 ton calipers, an inspection cover, an automatic brake pedal assembly, an automatic crossmember, and an np208 skidplate. I just don't know what to do with this stuff.
    Also, I know somebody who asked me to take a 327 that needs to be rebuilt. I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of loading, hauling, and storing the motor as well as all these other parts. These parts might not be worth the hassle and would be better off just scrapping and not picking up that motor. What do you all think?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looks like you need to pay your dues and place an advert in the 'parts for sale' board!

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

2nd on that, put it in the for sale, or give away for free

Its better to recycle the stuff for someone else to use.

They dont make "our" trucks anymore and each year, the stuff gets harder and harder to get. It is better for someone to make use then for it to be gone 4 ever.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Swap Meet!!

I see your in Jersey--why not bring it to the big swap meet at englishtown??--I see many parts at the swap meets I go to in CT and NH,even though not many off roaders want 10 bolt axles,many guys with stock 1/2 ton pickups and K5's are looking for used rear ends for thier high mileage trucks,or want lower gears to better pull trailers...

I see a lot of parts on tarps with a $1 sign or "FREE!" also,lots of guys bring everything they dont want to haul home again--worst case scenario is they end up in the dumpster that most swap meets have,you always see "vultures" dumpster diving for buried treasure,(including me!:blush: I got a nice air compressor pump out of the dumpster,and my brother got 2 nearly mint doors for his VW beetle in there too!:D FREEBIE!:D )-

Small stuff like mirrors,chrome trim and mouldings,window glass,wiper motors all sell pretty good when I bring my "leftovers" to the swap meet--its better than just scrapping it,plus I get to shop for what I need after I get the cash for my unneeded stuff!...I'd rather give the stuff away free or cheap and see someone who needs it to go away smiling!--its getting harder all the time to find stuff for our older trucks as junkyards are crushing everything in sight,especially older stuff that weighs more--pretty soon there wont be ANY trucks left from the 60's to 80's....:crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

scrap

trust me its not worth saving, none of those parts above are worth much, if anything

i used to pack rat everything and i mean EVERYthing, used to strip entire trucks and save every part down to every last bolt and nut that was reusable and not broken or junk, mostly all 67-72 trucks but started to get into 73-up, and well it got to be really super bad, no room left, etc., i had entire building full of parts,
    so i had to do something, so i started advertising and well stuff that you would think would be worth something turned out not to be

and nothing really is cept 205's dana 60s, posi units, k5 buckets, and tachometers, and thats really pretty much it,

i took whole building of parts to shredder yard, made bundle off scrap metal cash, an unuseable ordinary common 10 bolt and a worn out 327 are junk, id have taken with scrap load long time ago,

just not worth screwing with stuff anymore these days, no one wants stuff anymore, less its super rare, like clean classic sheetmetal, etc etc,.

good luck :D

6. diesel4me

I'd take a free 327!!

I'd accept a free 327 motor--they are still in demand for older restorations,and I think they were one of chevy's best motors...hate to see one go to waste!

But Randy may be right about keeping TOO much stuff--I am guilty as charged of that offense myself--despite getting rid of tons of stuff,I'm STILL coming across parts from my 72 K5 and a few other trucks I havent had for 15 years!!:blush: :crazy:

7. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i agree a 327 is a great motor, get it rebuilt and clean it up and it will sell if you dont need or want it, a lot of people are looking for 327s for early camaros, chevelles and corvettes

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

part out the usefull stuff, sell it and then use the housing for welding practice?

j

9. diesel4me

Monster Garage!

I've been tempted to weld my old 10 bolt out of my van into a "trike" or some other weird contraption!!--maybe make wind chimes out of all the old rockers and pushrods,mailboxes out of cracked blocks,etc...maybe they'ed bring more money that way!!-( JUNK ART!)-I see lots of stuff like that at swap meets--its amazing what some guys build out of junk after a few beers of inspiration!:grin:

-Maybe I've been watching too many monster garage re-runs:confused:

10. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If the rims are clean, i'd consier making a coffee table out of them or something if you don't want to hassle wiht selling them. Junk art isn't that bad of an idea....i know i'd jump all over a coffee table made out of old chevy rims and a piece of glass.......

11. diesel4me

Might be fun and profitable!

I know a guy who made a "muffler man" out of old mufflers and he sold it to a muffler shop for an advertising prop--it has the bussiness sign in the muffler mans hands!--it looked pretty cool!.

He also made a "stegasourus" dinosour out of two old oil pans(for the head and mouth)and a leaf spring for the "backbone",with rocker arms welded to it for the "vertabrea",and for legs he used old muffler pipes--I heard he got quite a large sum for it from an junk art enthusiast!..:crazy:

12. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Shoot me a e-mail: adam@yourautoplace.com I want some of those parts?
    Thanks
    Adam

13. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

Dude i will glady take the skid off you hands. I want/need one of these real bad.I havent had any luck finding one so if you are wheeling to part with it I will pay you for it or if I can have it for free i will pay all shipping costs. Plze get back to me on this. You can email me at clintmcdavid14@hotmail.com . I am in very dire need of that skid.

Thanks
    Clint