Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

used 350... What should I replace?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by newyorkin, Apr 27, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey all, long time no hang in the garage!

I just picked up a '93 350 from a police car. I don't know the mileage on it (I imagine somewhere around 80K), but the guy that gave it to me said it ran beautiful before it was pulled.

So I have this motor sitting in my yard now, and I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding it. Major obstruction with that is $$$$, and having just about none.

I looked up the casting number on it, and that says it has a 2 or 4 bolt main, roller or tappet cam. Main is fine to check, but how do I check the cam without tearing the motor apart? Will I be able to tell from the oil pan? Also, should I put a tappet cam in there if it is roller? I've heard roller cams are short-lived in low-rpm-driven motors (which is what this motor will be in my truck), any accuracy to that?
    I also had a box of new crane sbc tappet lifters handed to me... Worth installig with very few other new parts?

It's dumb to do a few little parts and not the major parts, but money is a big obstacle here... Should I bother disturbing the assembly to swap in a few parts that might not make a difference to performance?

Time is not really an object, but it's unrealistic to think time will bring me more money to put into it.

Should I just change some little things and swap it in, since it's reputed to be a solid strong runner? If I haven't toasted my existing 350, I may be able to rebuild that with some bigger genitalia with this new motor running in the interim...

What would you do?

Here she is in my yard New Motor

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Build a raised rail style engine stand (Looks like frame from front clip with motor mounts) you'll need a tranny on the end of the engine for the 3rd mount to keep it stayble. Add fuel cell, radeator and batt. wire up fuces and switches. Fire it up and see how it runs. Kinda fun too make some noise with. I used to have one for selling used motors so people could hear them run.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I dunno, that might be getting beyond what I can do in my backyard... If I still had junkyard resources, that'd be more of a possibility...

I trust the guy that gave it to me, he gave me the best of the motors he had on the floor, and made sure I didn't get a borderline motor this time (I got one before that had rusty cylinders)...

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id change the oil first off and maybe pull the oil pan and check the connecting rods and stuff for play in them.crank the engine over by hand and make sure there is no binding.helps to take out the spark plugs for that.also pull the valve covers and see if there is any gunk collected up there.do a compression test and see what each cylinder compression is.if all looks good then install it and fire it up.