Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Used Gears? ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just got off the phone with the dealer and the warranty people for the rear diff on my Dana 80 that is being fixed in my Dodge towrig. The ring & pinion and limited slip were trashed.

The dealer told me that the warranty people are providing the parts and that I need to call them to find out about it. The warranty people are telling me that they are going to be getting me a low mile used carrier and gears for my truck. Is this going to be a problem? I have been told that used gears are not good.

How bad are used gears and should I worry about it and try and get them to replace them with new components? Thanks

Harley

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I haave used gears in my D60 front and have had no problems...In the rear, however, I might be a little more cautious! If they are set up correctly and the pattern is dead-on, there shouldn't be a problem. but if the pattern is off, especially on the drive side of the tooth, you will get lots of unnecessary heat build up. If it is still under wty., I would try to push them towards using a new ring and pinion on possibly a used carrier. I would state that you frequently tow heavy loads within the GVWR of the truck over long distances. I dunno might be worth a shot buddy...

Chris

3. Hossbaby50

They basically just told me I am sh*t out of luck. If I want new parts I would have to pay for the difference in cost. He said that the new parts will have less miles then my current parts but my contracts states that they can use "lifetime quality parts" which is a fancy way of saying USED so that you don't see it when you buy there warranty. :mad:

F*uck these guys. They will never see another dollar from me if I buy an extended warranty on a vehicle. I asked why there warranty is not as good as a dealer warranty. If this happened under a normal warranty I would be getting new parts installed. They just kept saying it was in my contract that they could use "lifetime quality" USED parts.

Harley

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Might be an inconvenience for you, but if one or two of their "used sets" come apart and your warranty is valid for quite some time still, if they make an error based on saving a few bucks, I bet they realize it right after shelling out twice as much money for used parts and labor as new.

Only thing I've seen about used gear sets in print is by randys ring and pinion, essentially stating that it's near impossible to get a perfect pattern, but it won't hurt anything.

I've pulled/re-used gear sets, if they are set up right or not, you know it. They either howl or they don't. :)

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I would say that as long as it's a matched set and they're set up properly, you should be fine.

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

hey man, you aren't by chance having Lithia in FC take care of this are you?

Chris

7. Georgia Mike

Georgia Mike Registered Member

Provided that they were set up correctly in the first install, used gears are fine to use. That being said, used gears can be easier to screw up in the install than a new set. When setting up a used set of gears, carefull attention should be paid to the backlash of the gearsets BEFORE they are removed from the original axle, and this backlash should be matched as closely as possible in the new setup to avoid overheating the gears. Then the pattern has to be set as normal, all the while keeping a close eye on the backlash measurement. It can be very tricky to do, but can be done by an experienced gear setter. Dana axles are a PITA to set anyway, so good luck on it.:D

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

The heavy truck transmission shop I used to work at would re-use ring & pinions whenever they could for customer jobs. As stated above, set-up is a little harder to get just right with used, but it can be done by an experienced mech.

9. Hossbaby50

No, the install is being done by Davidson Chevy in Loveland where I bought the truck. The service contract says I should/must take it back to them unless authorized by the warranty agency.

I talked to the Chevy dealer today. He said that they most likely are shipping in a WHOLE axle not just an R&P and carrier. That takes my concerns off the r&p setup but then makes me wonder WTF else might be wrong with this new axle ie. brakes, wheel bearings, carrier bearings, etc.

The GM dealer assures me that they won't install junk parts in my truck because they don't want there reputation on the line because the warranty people want to save a $. This makes me feel better but I am still pissed off.

The best part is that the parts are ordered and are coming truck frieght from god knows were and won't be here till Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Let alone installed. :mad: So it is back to DDing the K5 for the next week or so for me which sucks. I bought the Dodge so I didn't have to get 7mpg anymore as a DD.

Harley

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I was going to tell you that they were going to use an entire axle, but you found it out anyway. To be honest, the dealer dislikes the parts as much as you do. 15 years in the business myself.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bill the warranty company for the "RENTAL BLAZER" you had to use while they fix your rig and also make sure you make them pay the portion of your truck payment during the time in which the truck isn't in your possesion.

12. Hossbaby50

I am sure that the dealer doesn't like the fact that they warranty company is supplying the parts since they can't mark them up to the warranty people and make money off the parts too. Now they can only make money on the labor. I am sure they don't like having my truck at there dealer for over 10 days either. It is taking up space that other vehicles could be in to make money off of. That is one of the reasons I am pretty sure that whatever parts will show will be installed in pretty good shape. If there is something remotely wrong with the diff like brakes or bearings the GM dealer will say they are bad so they can sling some parts at the axle and make some more money off the parts and labor.

Harley

13. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Neither one of those will happen. Unless the warranty covers a rental car (and you can scam up some kind of invoice), they don't have to pay for jack. Same goes for the payment. They didn't force you to finance it, so they're not responsible for money you're paying while not driving it.

It'd be nice, though.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The reason i said that is because i have a few friends that did this and they did pay for reasonable rental fee even being your own vehicle and they also paid for the duration of the payment while the vehicle was out of their hands.

15. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Anybody I've ever talked to who even suggested such a thing got laughed right out of the service department.

Must have different laws out in Kommiefornia.