Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Used gears OK?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Oct 21, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I need to change my 14 bolt to 4.10.
    I've seen a couple sets of used 4.10's for sale and am thinking about picking one up.
    Is there any specific reason I should not get used gears?
    Also, I would want to check bearing and axle seals while I'm at it - anyone have a diagram of a 14 bolt so I could see what all I may need to replace while it's open?
    -- Mike

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with used gears, especially beefy stuff like the 10 1/2" 14 bolt.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just check for excessive wear (obviously). Chipped or missing teeth, rounded teeth, really sharp teeth, and ???? are all things to watch out for.
    Also, I've never heard this before (so I'm just making it up) but I'd think it would be good to get the set of ring and pinion. (Use the pinion that was with the ring gear originally) That way they would have the same wear pattern, etc. I don't know - would this make sense or not make any difference at all?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Theoretically getting a matched set should be better, but the problem is when you take them out and set them again, there is no way in hell you will get the same exact setting to make the same conatct patch so I don't think it matters much as long as the wear is not excessive, and if it is, don't buy it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Personnaly I don't feel the savings are worth getting it used. I am cheap and I fabricate anything I can to save money, but for under 200 per axle I would buy new. I see prices now in the 125-150 range, how much are you getting the used ones?