Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

used millermatic 250???

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by kgillyk5, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

I have a line on a used millermatic 250 MIG. The new miller model is a 251 but this is a little older. I've been on the fence between a new 175 or a 210 model but found the older 250 model for a great price.

Is there any advantage as far as quality or technology that would make me choose a new miller 175 or 210 over this older 250 model? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax 1/2 ton status

I dont know what to tell you. I have a 210 and love it. I'd say call a Miller dealer and ask for differences.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what is the price? The biggest thing about the 210 vs the 251 is the adjustment. There is MUCH finer adjustment in the 251. You can adjust by small increments instead of most of the smaller welders where it is "A, B, C, D, E". Try, 17.2, 17.4, 17.6, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. To me that is the big advantage. I'm looking for a Miller 251 or a Lincoln 255(comparable to each other).

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Ask to try it first. There are some Miller 250's out there that have some significant issues. Call a weld supplier in your area and ask what they think of the miller 250. They'll tell ya. I'm sure they have had a few in for maintenance or repair or just diagnostics.

5. 4bynut

4bynut 1/2 ton status

I have a older millermatic 250 like the one your considering. I really like mine. I bought it used 2yrs. ago. The PO also had the spool gun with it, so i can do aluminum too. The one your looking at should have the plug in on the front if you would ever decide to get one. Also one main point, like mentioned above is the fine adjustment for wire and heat (very important with thinner metal). If the price is reasonable and the machine is in clean, good working condition. I'd say buy it, You won't be disapointed. Jason

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I think if I had the experience I would make the trip and try it out but I'm a newb to welding and this is 3 hours away. After reading Kerts post I looked into some of the issues w/ the 250 and think I'll go w/ a new 210. The 250 is a little big for what I'll be doing but the price looked good.