Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Used Pro Audio gear - Where to sell?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 5, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a bunch of rack audio equipment I was going just stick on ebay, and looking around a little on the 'net, this stuff seems to be worth a lot more than I expected.

Anybody know any good used pro-audio sites? I'd rather sell these in a more targeted forum than eBay, these might be my ticket to a new tranny...

Anybody interested? The stuff I have is:

Symetrix 422, Gain control/Leveller - $400
    Symetrix TI-101, Telephone Interface - $?? 100
    hnat-hindes Amaze, AM Pilot (not really sure what it is, I never used it) - $??
    Rane PE-15, Parametric EQ - $300
    Conex Cue Amp, multi-source rackmount monitor - $??
    (2) DBX 140x, noise reduction - $50 each

Here's the goods, all in just about new condition:
    [​IMG]

This all started with offering up two old consoles to a couple guys at work, needing to free up some storage space in the garage loft...

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Have you searched ebay for similar equipment? You can always try listing it with a reserve first to try and get a decent price for it. Other than that I can't help with where to sell it though.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What is this stuff used for ?? Is it like sound equipment you might find at a dance club ?? If so, you might want too call the clubs and see what they'd offer you for it. Just a idea.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

A club DJ might use some of it, but probably not. I do have remote controlled CD players and big monitors that a DJ might use, but they're old and worn out, I wouldn't feel right taking money for what I consider borderline junk.

It's primarily used for broadcast/radio stations, processing audio for various effects. If you've ever played a song from a CD, then heard the same song coming over the air from a radio station (or TV/Satellite), you'll probably notice a significant difference in sound. On-air broadcasting uses different methods of processing to create a consistent sound quality for the station, mostly with compressors and levellers (make low sounds louder, make loud sounds lower). Studios use this equipment to modify the produced sound. IE, the EQ and leveller I would use to give a commercial a better/crunchier/stiffer/lighter/harder audio impact, or use it to change the sound of elements within the commercial.

The other night, I ran across the consoles I'd picked up to rebuild and just figured screw it, I can buy a new one that's suited to whatever I need for $300, and that lead to the realization that I will never use any of this stuff, so I'm selling it all now.
    Good timing, too; we have a florida vacation coming up, my truck is a POS, and she wants a camper for the summer. My land budget is already lonnnnng evaporated...

Kenny, I checked out Ebay, but they didn't have any of this stuff. Plenty of very similar stuff, but I didn't see much bidding on it overall. I figure if I can find a forum with people that know what it is and would want it, I'd have a better chance of selling it at a better price.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Radio station equipment ??? Might be worth calling up some colleges that have small stations or schools that teach repairs on that kind of stuff. They may me intrested. Yeah, may be a long shot, but worth checking out.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm sure college stations could use it, but they have no money, and this equipment has some value. I was originally selling it because I just wanted a buck or two, now I'd like to get a little more than 1 or 2...
    Sometimes college stations piss me off, anyway. I produced for one for free for a long time (I wasn't a student there, either), and they had seriously crappy equipment, but the school was ultra-rich and didn't want to put anything into the radio station, and when they finally did, they automated it. Stupidest thing I've ever heard of, those students in the broadcast program got jerked big time.
    My cheesy community college had better equipment, and they weren't even on air.

Anyway, I'm now donating two consoles that may or may not be worth a couple thousand to the Boy Scouts. The guy I'm giving them to is expecting to use them for the National Jamboree, then a college station or something afterwards. That makes me happy, I used to be a boy scout and went to the Jambo, I'd like to see them get decent stuff free.