Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Used ring/pinion for front end?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Feb 23, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Allright, I need to put some 4.11's in my front end. I've found I can get a used set for about $15. I know a guy that can put them in pretty cheap too. My question is, I've heard that once the wear pattern is already established, you shouldn't re-use the gears, or put them in a different axle...isn't it possible to shim by front end the same amount so that the new wear pattern is pretty close? I talked to friend who knows a little about this stuff, and he said that it would probably be fine. Its also going in the front, which I hardly use anyway...but I don't want to have to worry about it later. Any opinions?

90K5

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have been told that. but i have also seen LOTS of 2nd hand gers being used with no problems. i would go for it at 15 dollars plus install. you do it right as long as the patern is right you should be fine
    Grant

take me drunk, i am home
    www.geocities.com/seventy4blazer/parts4sale.html

3. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

for 15 bucks?

hell, it's in the front end, just set it up for a good pattern and amaze people as it holds up ....

a friend of mine had his front spiders stripped, taking out the tips of 2 ring gear teeth....

i shoved a new tru-trac in there, "eyeballed" the shims, got a good pattern, filed the chipped parts of the teeth down, and called it good.... we beat the crap out of it last weekend with some highspeed wheel-wobbling pull-out blasts and scrabbling across grippy granite, and it did fine....

greg ( 'eyeballin'.... nice, huh?)

* keep the greasy side down *