Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Used vs. New Body Parts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MiamiBurb, Jan 3, 2002.

1. MiamiBurb

MiamiBurb Registered Member

Howdy again, all. My mission to find a used front end for my 88 Sub is really turning into a mission. I'm beginning to question whether it's worth it. When I started, I wanted the used parts because I figured I'd save a couple of hundred bucks, and would have OEM parts to boot. Now I'm wondering. Should I re-think going with LMC parts?

What do you think?

Thanks,

VA

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

there was a good complete clip,i think an 84???on ebay today

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I will tell you from experience, the LMC parts ( especialy the front fenders, and doorskins) are crap. they'r emilled out in some tiawanese factory, and don't fit quite right, have some of the holes misaligned, and in the case of my grey truck, had the fenders fall off. currently my front end is held on with a manly looking Ratchetstrap, because both fenders seperated at the top, where a whole 2 spotwelds held it to the main body mounting bracket. if you can find a decent used clip, I'd sya go for that instead... save on time and money in the future.

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

4. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

try boneyards living in the northeast i know not alot of vehicles survive long in the climate there but for where you are boneyards would seem to be the best choice i know of a couple of yards here that have a few burbans in them and a couple places in texas that strip trucks and sell em off.
    try a web search for TAKE OFF PARTS or even better one for JUNKYARD DOG.COM lists boneyards all over the world and has saved me a few times.ive seen full clips listed before places and a couple here.im sure youll find one
    goodluck

"well,are you gonna pull them pistols,or whistle dixie!?"

5. MiamiBurb

Excellent, that's just the sort of feedback I'm looking for. The hunt for the front clip is becoming a mission. Anyone know what shipping, say, TX to FL would run?

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't know how hard it is the find a front clip in your area, but I would keep looking because if I would buy body parts, I would want to know if there is any cancer (rust) starting to eat away at them and the only way to be 100% sure, is to look at them when you buy. It really sucks when you go to a lot of work to get good parts, and find out they aren't what you had expected them to be. Just my opinion of course.

7. MiamiBurb

Luckily, I just found a yard that has a couple about an hour away. Going to go see them and prolly get one tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice.

VA