Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

useing distilled water in my raidator?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilgrim, May 26, 2003.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I heard that its better to use distilled water in your raidator than tap water. Because of all the minerals that the tap water could contain. Those minerals would than deposit themselves inside my cooling system amd that might be bad /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif... Of course i've allways used tap water but now that i've gone through all the work of replacing the water pump and redoing the intake gaskets i want to do it right.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

You got it right you want to use distilled water.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah, what he said, distilled water is just that, water, tap water is chlorinated fluoride-ified water...the purer the better

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

tis true! Most people overlook this. The white stuff that it coated around the cooling tubes is the calcium that seperates from the tap water. I used distilled water and coolant when I filled my truck. Texaco make a red "long life" coolant thats premixed with distilled water. This is required for detroit diesels.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

When I bought a new radiator for my S-Jimmy last year it came with directions that stated that if it was NOT filled with just coolant and distilled water, then the warranty would be void. The calcium deposits from tap water are the main cause of clogged tubes in the radiator. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But if you only changed the water pump, then there is still quite a bit of the old stuff inside the block. You need to pull the drain plugs on each side of the block to get it all out.

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

very good stuff guys. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif