Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using 10-bolt disc brakes for rear disc conversions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

OK, here's my latest idea:

Since the 78 Caddy calipers are sometimes hard to find or expensive when making rear disc conversions, why not use something current? My thought is on the new rear 10-bolt axles, which all sport shiny disc brakes now. They must have a mechanical parking brake of some kind, right? Even if they are pricey now, in a couple years you'll be able to get them at parts stores and we can just design backing plates to fit them. What do you think?

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'm just keeping my eyes open for a Silverado to show up in the boneyard - according to the local GM parts guru, everything should be a direct bolt on.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

So you'll be putting the discs from a new 10-bolt onto your older 10-bolt? It seems like that would be really easy.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

4. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

some one asked sports truck if the new 99 up rear ends brake stuff would work, and they no, but i've heard both ways... one of these days i'm going to pull it off my dads z71 and find out... and the newer brakes equipment is set up for 16in rims...

<font color=red> and everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people</font color=red>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off look at the bolt pattern on the axle flange on your dads, then an "older" drum brake ten bolt. Should be able to do that from under the truck without disassembling anything. GM changed those patterns a couple of times, if they did it again on the newer trucks, it would present at minimum slight problems for a swap.

Would be really nice to be able to use newer stuff that will be showing up in the wrecking yards, but strange that there are kits made for disk brake rear 10 bolts NOT using this stuff, if its possible.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

6. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

check gm's prices on the newer stuff and you'll see why people don't use it, even if it does work.

<font color=red> and everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people</font color=red>