Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using 2 rear shackels and mounts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuneRunner, Sep 26, 2001.

1. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever thought of swapping out the front mount on the rear springs, with another rear shackle setup? I was reading a issue of 4Wheelparts Magazine. (it had Steve Fox's K5 in it). Well there was a Nice RED Dodge Ram Pickup. And he had a trick rear set up, with duel REAR shackle mounts, and a ladder bar setup.
    Dose anyone have any ideas if this is possible to do with ourK5s?
    What's the worst that can happen, You have to rebolt the old mount back on. Just thought that I would though this Idea out.

KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Shackles at both ends of the springs would allow the axle to flop around under the truck. You would have to add ladder bars or trailing arms just to locate the axle. I would think that it would only be stable enough for off-road use. One advantage would be that you could flip the shackle in the rear and put a shackle in the front and gain about 6" of lift using just the stock springs and no blocks.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've seen it done, it's basically a poor man's version of a multilink suspension without having to buy coils. If it's set up correctly it should give some pretty good flex. The hardest part would be getting the geometry of the links setup so that your driveshaft doesn't bind.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

That is what I have been thinking about. And them if you where going to change to taller springs. That coud change everything.

DANGIT it's not a bronco!