Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using 8" lift and still have articulation?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Using 8\" lift and still have articulation?

I'm thinking of getting a 8" lift to clear 35" boggers. Now before you start screaming that 6" lift will clear 35's, well YOUR WRONG! I don't care to hear that it will clear or not. I know it won't. I have a 4" lift w/33" bfg's and they hit. So, I'm planning on a 8" for the 35's. I'm not going to cut fenders, or add a body lift. So, does anybody know if you will get articulation from 8" springs in the front, and 6" in the back?

I"m already planning on getting new driveshafts, steering correction and all that good stuff.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

2. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Re: Using 8\" lift and still have articulation?

I hear you, I'm running a little over 6" in front, and I CANNOT fit 36x12.5 TSL/SX. If you're running wider 35's, (which it sounds like you are) you'll need that 8". I don't see why you wouldn't get flex in the rear with your shackle flip. I have 4" Superlift HD springs with 2" Add-a-leafs in the rear. That's 6 springs, not including the overload, and I can still scrape the inner fender wells. The fronts??? Get the ORD HD shackles (they're 1/2" longer) and that may get you some additional flex.

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree that at least 8" of lift would be needed to fully clear 35" Boggers in really twisty stuff if you really don't want to trim the fenders. You should be able to get good flex out of 8" springs, but in general, for the same basic spring setup (spring rate, number of leaves, etc.) the ones with the lesser arch (let's say 4" vs. 8") will flex better and ride softer. The reason for this is as the springs get more arch, more of the spring is pointed up at an angle towards the vertical direction. The greater the angle, the greater the force that is required to flex the springs.

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I have no idea on the flex, but I'll take that 4" lift off your hands! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If you want super flexy springs, order some Nationals. I installed a set of National 12"ers on all 4 corners of my '77 Suburban one ton and boy does it flex!! The springs were $1100, but for a lesser altitude lift, they're cheaper. Heck may even only be a $100 or 2 more than the stiff name brands (like Superlift, etc.). Good luck on you choice, and I agree with 8" for 35" Boggs!! I'm running 39.5" Swampers with 12"!!

ken

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Attn: Steve88

I see you are in AZ. I'm not looking to get rid of these springs anytime REAL soon, but if you are interested in them in about 2 or so months, I'll check with you again. The springs will mostly only set you back the cost of shipping. I got them for $100 about 1 year ago. You would need new spring bushings. I got mine from Summit Racing, but had to call Energy suspension to get the correct part number, and they were on back order from E.S. for about 1 1/2 months. The 88-91's use differen't bushings than the earlier mod's.

By the way, I have no idea how much shipping would cost. Too bad I can't get them off any sooner. I have a friend flying out at the to AZ at the end of this month...

Thanks for all the reply's guys. If I had the money, Natl's would be the way I'd be going. I'm just going to get some soft flxy springs from Tuff country or somebody I guess...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez