Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using A Ford Dana 60

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nicks 72, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone has used a ford dana 60 in a first or second gen blazer. I know the diff is on the driver side but if your going to change transfer cases anyways why not? I also know they used to be more expensive then the Chevys but the Chevys are getting pretty tough(and expensive) to find over here as well. Also the steering is already crossed over(but not high). I think that the axles came in different styles 77-78 and the latters and dont know how different the:overall width, spring pad widths or caster camber are from a chevy. If anyone can shoot this idea down for me so I can stop thinking about it or if it makes sense please let me know which years will work best I would appreciate it. THANX NICK

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep you can do it. I think the Fords are all high-pinion too....? For some reason the years '78 and '79 seem to stand out for me as well, but it's been a long time since I thought about this..... check out www.offroaddesign.com because I think they get into some specifics on this....the only other challenge is installing a Ford NP205 so that the outputs are on the correct side.

I came pretty close to trying this solution when I first started designing my link suspension, and realized that I was going to have driveshaft clearance issues with the standard pinion (low) setup.

:cool1:

3. Nicks 72

Good point Greg, the fact that theyre High pinnion is another advantage in clearance and strength. What also got me thinkin is that if someone wasnt that interested in a doubler you could use the later model transfer cases such as a 241 with the 2.72 to one low range and you can convert these to the big shaft fixed yoke style like the ones dodge uses behind some of they're cummins equiped trucks(strong).and also by being able to use later transfer cases you can easily run 4L80es with stock and cheap adapters.

4. Greg72

I'm not sure what you're planning to use for a motor, but a 4L80E needs a LOT of inputs to work properly....or an expensive standalone controller.

The other thing about the 4L80E (and most other transfer cases for that matter) is that they are a lot longer than what we got from the factory in our 1st Gens. I found this out the hard way....check out my "man space" photo gallery for the driveline mockup I did. 454/4L80E/203/205... That trans is something like 6" longer than a TH350, and we already have one of the shortest xfer cases around (NP205)....the later model trucks with their 208s, etc...have a much longer case, so when they swap in a Doubler, they only gain a couple of inches in overall length because their stock box had that long tailshaft output and they get to "ditch" that.

I think my rear driveshaft was going to end up being something like 30" (or less) by the time I got that whole driveline where I wanted it....and I think I had the engine forward about 5" from stock!!!!

Anyway, it's something else to consider. The FRONT driveshaft will be nice and long....you can make it a 2-piece design if you're careful, and maybe carry a single spare that fits both the rear, and the 1st part of the front shaft????

:thinking:

These days, I'm thinking about a much shorter tranny (TH400)....DEEP axle gears (7.56) and a reverse-mounted 203 to create a 50% overdrive. Not sure if I'll even need a Doubler with axle gears like that, but if I do.....I'll be looking at really SHORT rear drivelines again..... 454/TH400/B203/F203/205... :yikes:

5. Nicks 72

Your right about the length with the 4l80e but compared to a 400 Isnt it just 3 inches? thats pretty good for having an extra gear. i had jeeps before as wheelers so im used to the short shafts and these in the blazer seem long!If I use the 241 fixed yoke conversion like I did in my last jeep the transfer length isnt too bad and i think the 4l80e adapter to this is pretty short also. If I use the 4l80e I would keep it with a 91to95 454 TBI and run the stock computer for both, stick on the 241 fixed yoke and drop down the gears in the pumpkins. Low range isnt super low but its not bad for an automatic and it has worked for me in the past.The 2.73 tranfer case helps with the low range. The beauty of this is that its all factory(except the fixed yoke,except for dodge)super reliable and proven in my opinion and you get fuel injection,big block, strong tranny w/overdrive and 2.73 transfer thats supposevly strong enough for cummins motors with no expensive adapters or special shafts,no machining or fancy(unreliable) aftermarket fuel injection and replacement parts found anywhere.
    If lower gearing is needed there is the lower gears for the 241 or lower first for the 4l80e available(at least there used to be)

6. Greg72

Just trying to make sure you weren't "flying blind" like I was.....

I bought a bunch of parts that all looked good on paper and then started bolting them together....and the assembly got longer...and LONGER and LONGER!!

From your last message it looks like you've already got a pretty good idea what you're in for dimensionally.

:thumb: