Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

using a gm tranny and a duel toyota t-case set up ...

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by supersize75k5, Jul 13, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Just wondering.....

there are people out the who make a adapter to bolt up toyota t-cases a t-350 soo what stops me from runnig a duel toyote t-case set up..

"TH350 to Toyota Tcase adaper, for 21 spline 4 cyl. Tcase"

Other than then not being able to use a big block are there any thoughts out there? I would love to just have my idea shot down so I can get this weird idea out of my mind..

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i know the older toys have an offset rear diff....

but thats ALL i know about em

3. supersize75k5

hmm, off set mog axels or?

Just pondering my ming is a blazer doing 207 on the salt flats right now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You WILL break it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

That is all /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. supersize75k5

you mean they arnt as strong as a 203 or 205..I should be just fine /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you mean they arnt as strong as a 203 or 205..I should be just fine /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll break it /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif but we'd love to see the pictures /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

shawn are u drinking again /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif, toyota parts under a chevy bad idea /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif, chevy parts under a toyota good idea! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    shawn allways upgrade never down grade. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

basically ask on pirate and don't listen to these guys since well we simply don't know. My first reaction was, you will break it, but I have no facts or real knowledge so its stupid of me to say that.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Shawn boke a 14FF, nuff said on his *wheeling inabilites* er.. I mean "abilities" ya that is it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just yankin on ya a little bud.

10. supersize75k5

Ya but I wasnt wheeling when I did it, I was trying to practice my wheel man skills /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Only the Land Cruisers had the offset rear axles, the trucks were centered. You might have to get special yokes to deal with Chevy type driveshafts but I believe HAD has some stuff.

I know A LOT of guys wheeling Toyotas with V8's and broken cases are rare. I doubt you'd break it if you went with a tame motor. Seems kind of expensie though (GM tranny to Toy t-case adapter + dual case adapter + the actual cases), maybe just get an Atlas or Klune (or both like DBLAZER).

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I haven't owned a toyota truck, but I semi-own a 80's toyota corolla (car) and before my dad bought our trucks, we used to wheel that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It's one tuff machine.

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know A LOT of guys wheeling Toyotas with V8's and broken cases are rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you have to take into account the weight. A Toy weighs A LOT less than a K5....and I'll bet the Atlas would just as expensive if not more since you must get an adapter from Advance because those don't bolt up to a GM tranny...

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm going to vote no, unless you consider a V6 and then only maybe. Keep in mind that a lot of toyota guys are running toyota axles too. They're not going to put near the stress on the cases that a D60/14FF combo will.

15. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm going to vote no, unless you consider a V6 and then only maybe. Keep in mind that a lot of toyota guys are running toyota axles too. They're not going to put near the stress on the cases that a D60/14FF combo will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen, they'll snap a Birfield long before the case goes /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you have to take into account the weight. A Toy weighs A LOT less than a K5....and I'll bet the Atlas would just as expensive if not more since you must get an adapter from Advance because those don't bolt up to a GM tranny...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always.. Recently I saw a few guys posting high 4K lb figures and some even in the 5K lb range with toy p/u's! They have the weight, but most dont have the balls with the 22re..

17. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

They have the weight, but most dont have the balls with the 22re..

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what Stephen and I have run into with our vehicles. He has the big block power to break front shafts almost at will if a tire is bound up. I on the other hand have a stock 350 and my motor will bogs down before I break anything. I am sure that if I tried I could break something but my motor would be a very unhappy camper.

I think that with the toy drivetrain you have to pay attention to motor power and vehicle size more than we do with fullsize stuff.

18. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I really dont think a normal person would break the toyota cases, but you seem to break everything /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was actually toying with this idea as well after i first got my K5, running a mild 4bt with a 2wd SM465(or even keeping the 6.2), OTT's divorce kit for the toyota case, and running 2 toy cases. Adding a second gear box to the toyota case only adds 6" of drivetrain length, and the toyota cases should be strong enough to hold up.

The toyota t-cases are actually quite beefy, and are way overkill for what they were put in. I rarely hear of broken t-cases that werent the result of poor quality aftermarket gears or running the cases low on gear lube. But under a 6k pound rig with a big block and your right foot, i dont think it would last to long.

19. supersize75k5

I would not put a bog block in fron of it, seen some good deals on vortec 4.3's around here /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'll keep dreaming /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Throw in a 4:1 D300. Lighter, shorter, stronger and probably cheaper. Problem solved