Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using a PC as a head unit...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by sled_dog, Oct 24, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Here is the thought, compact PC setup in my 1997 C2500. I can build one easily that will require little power and run off an inverter. Drive an amp with the PC soundcard output. Which will power the 4 speakers in my truck. Reason? Every CD I own is on my computer, plus about 500 more... plus random stupid songs like "Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina", no way I care to buy the CD for that one or waste a CD burning it. Why not have ALL of my songs in one easy to reach place? I was looking and think I could mount a 9" LCD screen in place of the factory head unit and heater controls(relocate those down to the spot where the retarded pocket that just holds change is). Throw a trackball on the seat and a keyboard in the center console(or split bench I want to get). Anyone have thoughts on this setup? Biggest issue is I do not know what sort of power the sound card outputs. The speakers I have in my room have their own power supply but plenty of speakers do not have any power source other then the sound card.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Can you not get a sound card with RCA outputs? Use 'em to power an amp. An easier albeit more expensive way would be to run a cheap crappy head unit with an auxilliary input and work it that way. When I drive back and forth to school I plug my laptop into my aux. input on my head unit and run things that way.

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A good pc sound card will not be powered and will most likely be digital. I would suggest running an amp for your front, and an amp for the rear speakers. Get a good 24 bit sound card like the Audigy 2zs or the new Audigy x-fi. The main problem I found with this is having to shut down the computer everytime you shut off the car/truck. If you dont, and the computer is not a laptop It will drain your battery in about 30-45min or less depending on specs.

4. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

mobile pc

Everything you ever wanted to know about using a PC in your car stereo system can be found here: http://mp3car.com/

Cheers.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

cool, yeah I was thinking about the Aux input on a cheap head unit, but at the sametime I'd rather skip the head unit, though it would be nice when I don't feel like waiting for the PC to boot up or just listen to the radio until it does. I have 2 places to go with the screen, there is an air bag mounting spot on the passenger side, but my 97 has NO air bags so its just another useless storage spot.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Alot of quality headunits have Aux inputs also. I just can't see a good sound system with a POS headunit. I really like my Clarion DXZ945MP and would recomend it to a friend. I got mine (New in box with warrenty) on Ebay for just over $300.00 [​IMG]

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i just burn it to disk in the .mp3 format, can get a LOT of music on one disk.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like a good application for an iPod....

(Hmmm wasn't there a post on this recently? :D )

An immediate problem with your idea (if you plan on leaving the PC in the car) is that disk drives are only spec'ed to operate from 5 - 55*C. Knowing where you live, it won't take long to destroy that drive this winter. I'm not sure if the HDD companies have developed "Automotive Friendly" drives yet with improved environmental specs, but the traditional drives don't do well in automotive applications.

FWIW

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i broke my face plate to my unit, diconnecxted the RCA's and put a 1/4" to RCA adapter and ran it for a while, sounded good. only work if u have amps thpough

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah at the moment its too cold for a PC... the flaw I have been pondering.

We got 2" of snow today...