Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Using a Vacuum pump to bleed brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scott A, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

We used a big mason jar and put two fittings in the lid so the jar will hold the brake fluid when you bleed the system. Run one hose from the vaccum source to the jar and the other hose from the jar to the brake bleeder. I am sure you can find a plastic jar that would also work, but it will have to be air tight or is that vacuum tight /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

That's the same thing I did. I also put a valve on the air line from the compressor so I can just turn it off insted of having to undo the quick disconnect. The only other thing to worry about it that it will always have bubbles in the line from caliper to jar because it will suck air from around the bleeder screw. I tried using some thread sealant around the threads but it still sucked air. Now it only takes about 1min per wheel to bleed brakes and I don't have to worry about the seals in the master cylinder.

4. clutch

clutch Registered Member

the easiest way to bleed brakes by your self is to use a bottle withe a piece of vacuum hose just put one end of the hose over the bleeder and the other in the bottle with some brake fluid in in it then crack the bleed er and pump the brakes 5 times get out and shut the bleeder and your done